Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Disabled auto lights, now headlights turn off when put in gear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Disabled auto lights, now headlights turn off when put in gear!

So about a week ago I disabled my auto lights in my 04 Blazer by putting a 2.2k OHM resistor in place of the light sensor on the right side dash speaker grill. As far as bypassing the auto lights, it works great and they don't kick on automatically. But last night was the first time I drove it at night since I did the bypass. Started the truck and turned the headlights on while in park and they lit up. As soon as I took it out of part, they shut off, almost acting like reverse DTRL (which by the way I also have the DTRL disabled by bending the prong on the relay; I tried reversing that to see if that was the issue but it didn't make a difference... although the DTRL did come back on and function like they're suppose to ).

The only way I can get the headlights to come on at night when in gear is to pres the dome light override button 4 times, and then they work perfectly fine. Which is sort of irritating, because that processes is what I was trying to get rid of in the first place to turn the auto lights OFF every time I didn't want them on...

Anyone else ever ran into this? Is there maybe a different OHM resister that I should use? I know the earlier years used a different value one but mine is a 2004.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

guess I'm the only one this has ever happened to? :/

Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 PM
EdC
Beginning Member
EdC is on a distinguished road

Doesn't your vehicle have a manual headlight switch above that little button? Mine does and its a 2000 LS

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

It does, however the auto feature overrides the selection if it is not set high enough (not set to headlights when its dark), that is unless you override the auto using the four button press.

I would assume the resister did not do the trick like you think it did since you say this happened on your first night run. I assume it hasn't been that way during the day and you just haven't been able to tell?

I haven't looked at the sensor's specs, did you check them when deciding on your resistance?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM
WatchItExplode is on a distinguished road

I think the light sensor had a diode in it. Maybe try installing a diode in series with your resistor. Try it both ways to before soldering/crimping it in place (diodes are directional).