Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Electrical Nightmare

Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Starting Member
Dolanjohn1990 is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical Nightmare

Ok guys heres the just of it....

The gas guage ticks with the turn signals, the radio was doing some weird thing where I had to unplug and re-plug in the fuse for it in the fuse panel to get to work. And the hatch won't open now. (electric motor for hatch but that's my fault I think) and its got a really low rough idle now. most of the problems started when I plugged in a trailer.Oh and theres an aftermarket alarm (or part of one) that every once in a while starts flashing the markers and the dash lights until it randomly stops. theres been a few times its drained itself and had problems starting.the scary part is its ran through all the wiring in the column and im afraid of messing that up. Im not sure if maybe a weak battery would cause problems like the radio and the lights dimming when doing things like rolling a window up/down, but im thinking about testing that tomorrow. the gas guage thing i can live with, im pretty sure thats just a ground shorting out somewhere. Maybe someone knows where all the grounds are located? I know there is one above the rear dif?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Park is on a distinguished road

With diming lights and the gas gauge acting up I would suspect the alt. If things started after you hooked up a trailer I would take a quick look at the wire harness back there and see how the wires look. Good luck Dolan, electrical problems can be an interesting learning experience.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would start with the aftermarket alarm.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Maybe someone knows where all the grounds are located? I know there is one above the rear dif?
On top the crossmember above rear diff. Good place to start. And there's a big splice junction not too far from those.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Anubis8472 is on a distinguished road

Definitely start with grounds.
Batt ground, engine ground, body panel grounds, that trailer wiring should have a ground as well.

With a bad ground current can back-feed through other components.
Gauge being efected by turn signals just screams bad ground.

Take them apart, sand/file, reassemble.

Does the vehicle have any body damage?
Ever been in an accident?
Check for damage to wiring harness at 'pinch points' between panels that may have 'shifted'.

----
I see your tag lists a '97
Another thing you might check is the computer plug/connector, as well as any large connectors at the under-hood fuses etc.
Sometimes those wires can become brittle and cause an intermitent break at the connector that can be a real pain to track down.

Last edited by Anubis8472; 02-17-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Additional info...
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Starting Member
Dolanjohn1990 is on a distinguished road

Anubis8472--- I scoured the engine bay and still cant find any fuses. the only things found are some relays mainly A/C and such and they all test good.

As for the grounds, I cleaned the hell out of the one on the crossmember above rear differential.

It hasnt been in any accidents, had a carfax ran and had the frame and core support inspected before I bought it. The only thing it has had is a complete rebuild on the engine and ive scoured away inspecting all the grounds there and theyre good. And recently I put in new ABS wheel sensors, hub assemblys, ball joints, etc. all wiring around those looked good too.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member
cadaver666 is an unknown quantity at this point

boy I can sypmathize with you, I recnelty got a 94 and it has been one problem after another. fan didnt blow so I replaced the switch, fixed that, locks dont didnt work, replaced the switch fixed that. windows, the only one that worked was the drivers side rear, none of the others work, now none. checked the master switch and its fine and getting power, I can hear the motor actuating(on the drivers side) so im assuming its the regulator. gas guage goes down when you get on the gas, goes up when you hit the brakes. which ive read is a problem with the wires on top on the tank..... how has yours come along? have you fixxed your problem?