Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

fog light question/ I replaced the bulbs in my stock GM radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member
yardbird is on a distinguished road
Default fog light question/ I replaced the bulbs in my stock GM radio

I have a 2000 4X4 blazer with fog lights and would like to remove the front tow hooks and put some fog lights in their place and use the existing switch to power them. Has anyone done this?

While I'm here I thought I'd mention that all the bulbs in my radio were burnt out. I took the radio out, got to the circuit board, took the bulbs out and replaced them and it was really very simple to do. Now my whole truck is illuminated as it should be. I know others out there have this problem and it's going up your ****. Happy trails.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to tap into the wiring. If you want to use the new lights with the originals, you may want to use a relay for the new ones so as to not overload the factory wiring.

I hear you on the stereo lighting. I have done a few of them now. It's quite simple so long as you don't force things apart and know how to solder.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member

Are you suggesting keeping the original lights wired and operational and splicing into the existing wires with a relay in between the slice and the new lights? If so what relay would I need?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is up to you as far as what you are doing. I simply stated that if you were to keep the stock fog lights operational, you should use a relay to power up the aftermarket fog lights so you do not overload the stock circuit.

You will need a 12v SPST relay that has a rating at or slightly higher than the current rating of the lights you will be using. Most of the time you should be able to use a 15A rated relay, but 30A relays aren't really all that much more expensive and will work just fine. You will need to put a fuse in the power feed from the battery to the relay and provide a good ground for the relay. For more information on relays and how to wire them, check out the12volt.com's how-to section on Relays.

If you do decide to keep the stock fog lights operational and go to tap into the power wire in that circuit, do not use one of those scotch-lock type splices. Either cut the wire and use a high quality shrink wrap butt connector (3M connectors have an adhesive inside that seals up nice) to splice in the new wire or slice off the jacket of the wire only and solder on your new wire, sealing everything back up with quality shrink wrap. The latter would require de-pinning the connector to slip over the heat shrink which can be difficult without the proper de-pinning tools.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for getting back, I do appreciate the input. That is exactly how and what I intended to do.

I'll post back when I get it done. It may take a while seeing I have to find the right lights.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member

I found a set of lights that will fit inside the small space that the tow hooks used to be in and wired them directly to the factory fog lights with a relay and I couldn't be happier. They provide more than enough light especially to the sides of the road so I can see the early morning bike riders and joggers.
The only problem although a small one is, is where is an appropriate place to snake the wires for the switch through the fire wall? I've read going through where the radio antenna is, is a good point but I'd like somewhere closer to the drivers side. Any thoughts would help. Thanks again swartllk for your input.