Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Dash electrical problem

Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
ASCOTTH is on a distinguished road
Default Dash electrical problem

OK... Another new one (at least I could not find any similiar problem by searching) the odometer and p-r-n-d-3-2-1 lights start dimming and going on and off... but in a very peculiar way; the first 3 digits of the numbers and the first 4 letters will dim and go off at the same time, then the 2nd 3 digits of both will go off as the 1st 3 come back on, alternating this pattern rapidly, and eventually going off completely. also at the same time they are doing this, the gas gauge indicator starts to jump around, then goes to empty when the lights eventually stop working. The problem started last week and has done this 2 times and another 3 or 4 times it has done the same thing but did not go off completely....I noticed when i pulled the fuse for the four wheel drive (dash fuse side fuse box) last time i tried to disconnect it...that the odom. and prnd321 and the gas gauge shut down.. so I checked that fuse to make sure it was seated properly (still can't figure why those are powered by that fuse?)..............is this a first or has anyone else experienced this? thanx for any help/info......scott

Last edited by ASCOTTH; 01-24-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member

ok....been over a week and no thoughts from anyone...over 50 views....guess i will do the BUMP thingy

Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

I haven't heard of the exact scenario that you're describing, but I have heard from my dealership service rep, that the dash clusters have been know to go bad on these trucks. I actually just had mine replaced to fix an odometer issue, and it was pretty expensive. But the dash cluster is readily available, and I can say that my issue was solved by replacing the entire cluster.

But odd instances like what you describe, I can't imagine how one could trace that to one specific problem, unless you believe in demonic posession or something.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member

HMMMMMMM.... I am catholic....so......they owe me at least one exorcism for all those sundays when I was a kid.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

A very commom problem. when lights start to flicker or gauges have a mind of their own, Check the battery terminals for tightness and clean if they are dirty. the best way to clean them is with a battery terminal brush (avaible at any auto parts store for less then 10 bucks) then tighten the bolts back up and spray a battery terminal protectant on them (also avaible at any part store), or you could use petroleum jelly if your cheap like me.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Beginning Member

thanx for the thought ... but the battery terminals are fine...recently installed new one w/ new terminals and did all the right stuff to prevent corrosion....

Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i hit a bump last night oin he way to work and i saw the flash and all my lights went dim except gear indicator on dash. and headlights were still on upon further inspection - my running lights are not on. i was hoping it was just a bad fuse and replaced it and it popped the instant my lights turned on. any help would be great as we have 10 inches of snow predicted and this is my daily. and any fix i have to do out in the parking lot of my apartment currently....