Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlight problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headlight problems.

1998 Chevy Blazer
4.3L Vortec 4x4

My lights seem to faintly flicker, all of them including dash lights.
I do not believe its the alternator as my battery stays charged.

Voltage regulator maybe??

My lights also stopped working. Flip the bright light switch and they work, but if flipped again they shut off. My bright light indicator is also ALWAYS on no matter what I do with the switch.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Prozon; 06-29-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd start looking at ground connections for them being loose, corrided etc including the ground & wiring under the underhood fuse box. But the high beam switch has me boggled... maybe a connection in the column is loose or in the cab/

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 AM

My grounds seem to be solid. I was thinking possibly a bad switch, but it has been working as I mentioned for quite some time now.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:14 AM

Any other ideas? Any ways to test switch?

Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend a charging system test, specifically looking at the AC voltage in the system.A failing voltage regulator can cause flickering lights.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
2001BlazerLS is on a distinguished road

Hello all you fellow Blazer owners! so here's my issue maybe someone can lead me in the right direction before i spend a bunch of money i don't have. 2 weeks ago my headlights stop working. so i went to my local junkyard and pulled a dash switch off a dead Blazer. put it in and they worked fine. well yesterday i went out and i noticed their not working anymore. any ideas where i should start looking?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Beginning Member
the DJ is on a distinguished road

Get yourself a volt meter and try to pinpoint where there is no voltage at the wire (e.g. Is there 12volts at the switch and is it coming out of it, is the high/low beam switch passing the voltage thru etc.) . If you have a haynes manual you can find the wiring diagram in the back.
I think it's the high/low beam switch but that's my opinion.
Do you have any extra lights on the same switch?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member
Cool Please help me save some MONEY.

Thanks DJ! i just bought the Blazer about 2 months ago from a guy i work with. he told me that the reverse lights stay on all the time. so he took out the bulbs.that must mean there's juice going to those sockets all the time was wondering if that could mean the neutral safety switch is bad and maybe that's why it's shorting out my headlight switch.(food for thought)! he also said he took out the fuse that goes to the all time running lights but i can't find any missing in the fuse box. Electrical problems can be such a P I T A. again DJ thanks for the ideas! do you think if i took it to VIP they could find the problem on the diagnostic machine?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
busta7600 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy just replaced bulbs, now headlights are dim and yellow???

just replaced my headlight bulbs in my 01 blazer and they are brand new, just opened the packaging and all the bulbs went to a dim, weak yellowish color and i have no idea what to do. like i said, BRAND NEW SLYVANNIA BULBS and they look like candles. please, any advice would help.
i dont have much experience with wiring, but any direction with what to do would be much appreciated. ive googled it a hundred times, changing the wording just a bit every once in awhile to see if something would pop up to help, but its all mainly about the actual covers/lenses turning yellow from age, not the actual bulb. which is what im currently having an issue with. Thank you much

Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Beginning Member

im not 100% sure but it sounds like the voltage regulator or your alternator! take off your alternator and bring it to VIP auto and they will test it for you!

Quick Reply: Headlight problems.