Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlight "Quad Mod"

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

Good light is nice. Not to mention for the pets and small children wandering onto the pavement from between parked cars. That was tonight's entertainment - a real thriller!

Enjoying the extra light - Low and Hi

Last edited by DARK1; 02-02-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok.... I hope this, is an OK thread to ask for help with ZR2 Quad headlights mod. As I saw a sticky saying not to ask for help (in the quad mod "DISCUSSION THREAD"). Which I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around. Guess I'm stupid. Anyways, here's my post again.:
"Can't find any info on how to keep my lowbeams on.....on a ZR2 (2002). Everything I read is "but not on a ZR2" or "ZR2's are different". I have done the AHL disable; that works fine. But would also like my LB to stay on with my HB. My LB are so low it's retarded; makes hwy driving difficult. Any help/direction, please?". [yes, I'm aware of the 9005 in 9006 mod, thanks].

Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tony,
Below is a schematic that I grabbed from Mitchell's OnDemand when I had a subscription YEARS ago and should apply to your truck, specifically if it uses the low beam bulbs as the daytime running lights. I now see that this schematic is incomplete in that it does not list where the one of the wires off the left side high beam bulb goes, but hopefully it is enough for you to #1 verify that this is your setup and #2 determine how to get the low beam bulbs to remain on with the high beam bulbs.

I will try to take a look at the schematic more closely tonight as I don't have the time remaining during lunch to properly review & respond. I just wanted to get the schematic out there for you to see if you or anyone else could lend a hand in the meantime.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Headlight "Quad Mod"-2002_zr2_hdlp_sch.gif  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Starting Member

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll be honest though, in that I don't speak Chinese. So I will need rots of ruck.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Starting Member

Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Tony,
Below is a schematic that I grabbed from Mitchell's OnDemand when I had a subscription YEARS ago and should apply to your truck, specifically if it uses the low beam bulbs as the daytime running lights. I now see that this schematic is incomplete in that it does not list where the one of the wires off the left side high beam bulb goes, but hopefully it is enough for you to #1 verify that this is your setup and #2 determine how to get the low beam bulbs to remain on with the high beam bulbs.

I will try to take a look at the schematic more closely tonight as I don't have the time remaining during lunch to properly review & respond. I just wanted to get the schematic out there for you to see if you or anyone else could lend a hand in the meantime.

Good luck!

What's to stop just snipping the light green / black wire between the body control module (pin A11) and the daytime running lamp relay (pin 1) from disabling the DTRL system?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Administrator

If I am reading this schematic properly, the DRL relay controls ground to the low beams independent of the multifunction switch (which also controls the ground path to both high beam & low beam bulbs). When energized, the low beam bulbs have a direct path to ground and the high beam bulbs would then have no path to ground regardless of the position of the dimmer/ftp switch. For the positive side of the circuit, the headlamp power relay would need to be energized to provide +12V which is provided to all of the bulbs.

Since the ground path is the switched path and the headlamp power relay is energized for DRL functionality, I think snipping the light green / black wire would result in either the high beams or the low beams (whichever is active in the dimmer/ftp switch) being on all of the time.

It may be more robust to completely rewire the headlights to a pair of relays, pulling power for the switched side of the relay from the white wire, Body Relay Block Connector 1 - cavity A6 in the underhood fuse block or the +12V trigger terminal on the headlamp power relay and the ground to the new high beam relay from the purple wire, Body Relay Block Connector 1 - cavity A3 in the underhood fuse block. The ground for the low beam relay would then be a simple chassis ground. Run power through the switched side of the relays to the power side of the bulbs (I would get
new connectors new connectors
and run new wires between the bulbs and the relays) and then ground each bulb to the chassis. This would result in the low beam bulbs being on whenever the headlamp switch was on and the high beams would be triggered as normal by the dimmer/ftp switch, I think... LOL

All references to connector & cavity numbers are from the above attached schematic for the 2002 ZR2. Regarding that schematic, I now believe that the missing wire on the left high beam bulb must be a yellow/black wire and run to the same location at the headlamp power relay as the left low beam bulb +12V side (Body Relay Block Connector 4 - cavity B1).

Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Starting Member

Only thing I've figured out, is my DRL are lowbeams. Guess I'll have to just ground a yellow wire and see what happens.