Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

headlight switch wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default headlight switch wiring help

ive looked over the wiring diagram posted on the forums and i am having trouble reading it. im trying to figure out which color wire at my headlight switch goes to the parking lights. I installed some fog lights and spliced in factory 880 plugs so i can run them in the factory location in the headlamp housing. the fog lights do work but its very unpredictable. sometimes they come on and the led on the switch i installed doesnt, sometimes the led comes on but the lights do not. sometimes both, sometimes nothing etc. sometimes 1 light comes on then i turn them off and then on again and both work. i turn the headlight dial to park lights, then turn on my fogs and they dont come on, so i turn my headlights on, then turn my fogs on and they work. then i turn the headlamp dial back down to park lights, and the fogs stay on. then i turn the fog lights off and back on and they dont come on. it is just acting really weird.

i want to assume it to be a bad ground but i really feel like im running them on a wire that goes to the BCM and it doesnt know what to do with it so its tweaking out. currently my load is coming from the light blue wire off of the plug to the back of the headlight switch. is there a better wire to tap into? i want my fogs to work only when my parking lights are on, obviously they will work with headlights also. but i want them to turn off if i turn the parking lamps off. i dont care if they stay on with the key off/engine off. i just want them to work anytime the parking lights are powered on.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The light blue wire out of the head lamp switch is the park lamp output.

It sure sounds like something is going screwy with your wiring. Can you draw a simple diagram showing your wiring?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Starting Member

i have basically a 2 year old drawing of my wiring from my switch, to the relay, to the fog lights. hopefully i didnt miss anything and the colors are weird but i am using a universal wiring kit i bought at oriellys and this is just the wires it came with (color wise)... all wire splices and connections are soldered and heatshrink tubed, i didnt use any butt connectors anywhere. my dad is extremely good at what he does, i am sure the soldering couldnt really be done any better. we do have a couple questionable grounds because we didnt have any O connectors that we could use, so we made a loop at the end of the wires, soldered it solid, and then screwed it into the body of the truck using an existing bolt wherever possible.

is the light blue wire controlled by the BCM? or is that not likely the problem?

if the LT blue wire is the correct one to tap into then would it be wise to first double check all of my grounds?

the kit i used grounds everything, each light is grounded individually, the switch, everything. i was thinking about running the ground from one light, to the other ground for the other light, and then running them to the chassis, instead of each seperate.

any advice?
any questions regarding my drawing?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

anyone have any idea? right now im running on the light blue wire for my load, which is supposedly the parking lamp wire. is it possible this wire does not carry enough current to ignite hid ballasts properly? because i can eventually get them to turn on, kind of like trying to start a lighter that doesnt work well. i turn my parking lights on, then hit my fog swith, they turn on and off really fast, just 1 time, like a camera flash. and then i can turn the fog switch on and off and nothing happens until i turn my parking lights off, then on, then do my fog switch again for the same result.

eventually, if the truck is warmed up and been running etc, i can do this and the fogs will eventually come on. it wont work when its cold, as ive noticed when i leave for work at 2am every day. but when i come home, change, and then go to school i noticed after a couple turn off turn on cycles they will come on and work normal after that everytime i need them, until the truck sits and gets all cold again.

im not an electrical engineer or anything but i feel like ive learned somewhere in life that the colder the wire, the more density and therefor the easier electricity flows through it. is it also possible that as it gets cold my ground connections are becoming compromised, until it gets warm enough?

since im running an hid plug and play kit for low beam headlights, and one for my fog lights, they dont have proprietary plugs for the power source from the vehicle, so i will try plugging them into my headlight wiring and make sure the ballasts themselves are not faulty. but otherwise im at a complete loss, any other ideas of what i can check?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get a relay setup for both HID kits and see what happens then.