Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

headlights turning on and off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Beginning Member
lil_J is on a distinguished road
Angry headlights turning on and off

Hey guys, I bought my blazer a few weeks ago and after I bought it I noticed the headlights would flash on and off whenever it wanted. I checked the headlight wiring and found the ground wire on the passenger side was stripped and no longer had its insulation around it. I replaced that and I also replaced the connectors on the 5 grounds by the battery and cleaned off their contacts. This certainly helped but it unfortunately did not fix my problem and it is starting to happen more frequently.

Whenever the headlights turn off I hear a "click" type noise from the relay center behind the glove box. Could a relay in there be my problem? I really don't know what else it could be so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any other possible solutions. I would really appreciate it because its getting dark early here in Wisconsin!

BTW my truck is a 1996 S-10 blazer LS 4 door 4x4

Old 10-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Beginning Member

does anyone know where the headlight relay is on a 96 4 door s-10 blazer? I believe its one of the three in the glovebox but I'm not sure

Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

I had this problem with my 93 pickup, it was a bad connection to the switch as they would turn off while I was driving at night.. thats a feeling you dont get used to!
But if you blazer is turning the lights on/off by itself, I'd go for a switch replacement.
Does your blazer have those saftey "all day lights" equiped on it? Because that can be a problem as well. Mine has a dome over ride switch, if I press it on and off 2 times, the all day lights go off and the daylight sensor switches to a manual position, in other words your lights wont come on automaticly when it starts to get dark.. If your blazer has this, try it and see what happens.
Your truck may not have this option, I'm not sure. I thought I'd speak of it as a guy at school has had a similar, if not the same issue as you in his 2001.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

those 3 relays are for the fuel pump ac and horn

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd
I had this problem with my 93 pickup, it was a bad connection to the switch as they would turn off while I was driving at night.. thats a feeling you dont get used to!
But if you blazer is turning the lights on/off by itself, I'd go for a switch replacement.
Does your blazer have those saftey "all day lights" equiped on it? Because that can be a problem as well. Mine has a dome over ride switch, if I press it on and off 2 times, the all day lights go off and the daylight sensor switches to a manual position, in other words your lights wont come on automaticly when it starts to get dark.. If your blazer has this, try it and see what happens.
Your truck may not have this option, I'm not sure. I thought I'd speak of it as a guy at school has had a similar, if not the same issue as you in his 2001.

thanks for the suggestion, I had already decided to get a new switch and your story has me hoping that a new one will fix it. Yes my truck has daytime running lights (DRL) but I do not have the dome over ride switch (which is frustrating)

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
those 3 relays are for the fuel pump ac and horn
thanks for the reply, good to know!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

UPDATE

I ordered a new headlight switch so hopefully that'll get here soon. but i took apart the dash and got the headlight switch.

On the white connector that plugs into the switch there is a brown wire, empty spot, red wire, tan/yellow wire, two small orange wires, then another empty space. I found that the brown wire has had its insulation stripped and had another wire spliced into it that didn't go anywhere. Does anyone know where this brown wire goes to or what its for?

Also the white plastic in about the middle of it has turned a brown color.