Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HID low beam problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default HID low beam problem

Well new problem.. During the wheeling trip i was just on for the last 4 days my low beams quit working. It happened when i was driving down a bumpy trail, they started flickering then quit working, and when they did the DRL symbol came on in my dash. and when i turn them off and turn them on my RPM's will drop by about 200 and the DRL light symbol will come on and sometimes if i hit a bump the lights will flicker but never stay on. But the High beams work just fine.

So i dont really know where to start, i know the ballasts go into safe mode but i thought they were supposed to come back on when you turn the key off then back on. I suppose they could be bad, but would both of them go bad at once? my other guess is loose wire, but i dont know where the head light ground and power wires run to.

So if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Are you using a relay harness?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you have something grounding out that shouldn't be.
I suppose you've checked all the connections & wiring but what about inside the ballasts? Is it possible yo look inside them? Because it sounds like the board could be grounding out to the metal box of the ballast or wires inside.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I havent checked the wires going to the power block because i couldnt find it lol but then i remembered the quad beam mod thread that told me where its at so im going to look at them today.

I tried switching the high and low beam ballasts on one side and it still didnt work so that kinda tells me its further back either in the switch or the remote wire (im guessing thats what its called?) while im in there i might as well do the quad beam mod.

but yesterday when i was trying to figure it out the DRL symbol kept flickering and the relay clicking in the glove box while the truck was parked so bouncing didnt have anything to do with it.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:08 PM
BF Veteran

Maybe not bouncing but vibrations on a loose connecion will cause flickering.
Maybe the ground under the fuse box under the hood or body ground?
But for it to cause other issues like RPM's etc I still think something is grounding out that shouldn't be.
Check around the coil & other wiring harneses.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Well i did some looking around and didnt find anything, i unplugged the big wire connector for the high and low beams (and other things) and checked the connections and they were all fine. And looked everywhere for grounds/bare wires and didnt find any. well i did find 3 wires that dont go to anything but look like they havent been plugged into anything ever so dont think thats a problem.

But then i remembered my passenger side corner light went out at the same time everything else did. when i turn the lights on the driver side corner light repeatedly dims with the drop in RPM's and the two bumper turn signals are on. So could this corner light be causing the problems?? I dont see how it would unless one of its wires are shorting things out.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 09-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Well Rotti you were right... lol should have listened to you about the ballasts. I only switched the passenger side ballast, then i looked in my book and saw how the circuit works and realized if the driver side ballast is out both lights wont work and then i realized that the driver side ballast was getting hot so i switched it with the high beam ballast and all is well now.

Good thing they are under a 1 year warranty still

Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran

TY TY. I remember reading that Kyle (swartlkk) had said the 2nd gen headlight wiring is very odd. Did it also cure the marker light issue?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Nah that light was completely burnt lol so i changed it. But yeah the wiring on it is definitely strange.. Parently that short caused the DRL's to think they needed to be on..? idk its strange.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran

Hmmm... maybe the grounding out in the ballast was causing a feedback or loop to the DRL's?

Quick Reply: HID low beam problem