Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Horn issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road
Default Horn issues?

Ok so my horn hasnt worked for awhile. Ive read that the spring thingy under the horn button in the middle will go bad sometimes. Well, I think mine is working because whenever you press on it, you can hear the relay clicking on and when you release it, the relay clicks off. But the horns themselves are quite. I checked the plugs and wires and everything is good to go. I know they worked a couple of months ago because when I went to have it inspected, a friend and I washed it and the horn came on and stayed on while driving down the road. Well, I unplugged them(it was because i am missing the cover to the relay box and some water go to it Im guessing. They quit later on and worked like normal). Then out of the blue, they stopped working. Can the horns themselves go bad?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

Yes they can.

Some trucks only have one, some have two.

I'd hook up a test light to the horn wire and press the button or have someone do it and see if power is getting to the horns. Check the grounds too. And if all else fails, replace them.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by RetroBlazer
Yes they can.

Some trucks only have one, some have two.

I'd hook up a test light to the horn wire and press the button or have someone do it and see if power is getting to the horns. Check the grounds too. And if all else fails, replace them.
Sadly, I have no idea where my test light went haha. Im gonna get some aftermarket ones tomorrow and plug them in. If they dont work, Ill take them back and start over from there. My buddy is having the same issue on his Ford Ranger. But would they both go out at the same time? I almost wonder if when they came on and stayed on that day if it did some damage to them. They were to the point of starting to smoke and got pretty hot when I finally unplugged them.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, getting hot and smoking is never good.

What made them stay on??

Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Starting Member

I think it was from the water getting to the relay box and making the circuit. I got it without a cover for it so whenever I wash it, Ive got to put a plastic bag over it. Cause after I unplugged it, you could hear the relay clicking on and off and later on after it was dry, the clicking went away and it was back to normal.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Starting Member

I'd get a new relay at some point or it may happen again.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Starting Member

Yea. But for now, Im gonna see about the horns themselves lol. Im hoping thats the issue cause I sure as hell am tired of following the dang wires on this rig.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I got a suggestion. I could help but I get tired of following peoples back posts to get a clue what year their truck is.
Either build a 'garage' or put it in your sig.
I suggest sig... cuz my garage seems to come and go at will.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Starting Member

Sorry pettyfog. I never thought about it to tell you the truth. Problem fixed tho.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Starting Member

Anyone else have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Horn issues?