Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I need help please fuel gage reads way past fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Jerry.rm125 is on a distinguished road
Default I need help please fuel gage reads way past fuel

Ok so I got this 1996 blazer LT 4wd 4dr. I've searched the forum n haven't really got much of an answer. My fuel gage reads way past full. Right on top of where it says fuel. Sum1 put a new fuel pump in it b4. The connectors r spliced into the wiring harness with male/female connectors. I clipped the ground (black n white wire) and made my own ground but it didn't do ne thing so I hooked it bck up to wire harness by twisting it back together. My fuel gage now reads between full and fuel and will bounce around a lil but barley noticeable. I have put like 90 miles since fill up. I cut the connectors off of the purple wire and twisted them together to make sure the connection was Gud since I didn't do the fuel pump n still no luck. Ne help would b nice

Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member
Maggz is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a fule pump and sending unit for my 95 blazer. The unit I received was actually not correct. I had to disassemble it and put it back together slightly off rotation so that it would fit into the tank correctly. It is possible the replacement that was put in was also incorrect and they didn't realize this, and just stuffed it in there and it is hung up on the baffle system inside the tank.......

Old 08-31-2014, 07:15 PM

I'll give that a try when every I decide to drop the tank lol I'm hoping to get sum insight n hopefully try every thing I can b4 I drop the tank and or take out the cluster both n which I dnt really wanna do lol it dnt really bother me a whole lot but if I can fix it without dropping tank then I'll fix it. Really not wanting to drop the tank n find out it's not it lol

Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member

dropping the tank isn't really all that hard in the blazer, just have to remember to remove fuel lines and electrical connections as you lower it, otherwise you risk breaking things you wouldn't want to break.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:46 PM

Yea it dnt seem to bad to drop u just don't wanna do it lol I did use a test light to test my grounds and all 3 have Gud grounds I'm starting to thing the gauge it's self is bad or the sending unit/float is bad

Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member

Did you remove the sending unit and float to check to see if it was correctly positioned inside that plastic baffling system inside the tank? As stated, when I replaced mine I had to make a few minor modifications as the sending unit that I purchased seemed to be a semi universal type unit (I purchased it from autozone). The default setup of it did not work and the float would have been stuck to the full or overfull position. I had to cut a small amount of the baffling out, as well as turn the sending unit slightly to make it function properly. This could be a cause of your issue, or you could be correct about your sending unit not functioning properly. Never know until you pull it apart and see what is going on and test it.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Forums work so much better when you do not try to write in 'text speech'. Thank you.*

Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM

I have not dropped the tank yet trying to rule out every thing b4 I do that. I found a way to test it according to all data if I ground the lead wire to the sending unit and it goes down to E the unit is bad or stuck up. If it stays at full it's a bad wire or if all wires check out it's the gauge it self. Gonna try that either today or tomorrow

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM

So I tried grounding the lead wire n my gauge dropped to E so it's a sending unit problem not a wire or the fuel gauge time to take fuel pump out n check the float make sure it's not stuck up like u said. Thinking bout cutting hole to fuel pump instead of dropping tank b quicker easier n u will nvr no it

Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
*Forums work so much better when you do not try to write in 'text speech'. Thank you.*

I do not even understand what you are saying there?

Now on to the original posters posts about his problem, because I thought this forum was to share knowledge and help people if you can, Jerry I personally would not recommend cutting a hole in the floor board to gain access to the tank and fuel pump sending unit. Only reason I say this is that for the blazer it is really easy to remove the tank. Cutting a hole in the floor to gain access you risk cutting into fuel and brake lines which run above the tank, along with a lot of wiring. To remove your tank it literally is 2 bolts and one wireing harness disconnect along with 2-3 lines which provide vacuum for the tank. Just have to remember as you drop your tank to disconnect the lines as you can not fully remove it until all connects are removed. I think it took me a total of 40 mins to remove my tank when I did it, and the tank was 1/2 full.

I do wish you luck on whichever method you attempt, but would advise against the cutting method. I do hope this helps you figure your issue out.

Quick Reply: I need help please fuel gage reads way past fuel