Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Inverter in Center/Floor Console

Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road
Default Inverter in Center/Floor Console

Hey all,

I'm looking to install an inverter in my 2001 GMC jimmy, preferably in the center console. The plan being to cut an access point at the back for the plugs, and a cooling slot with fan.

The biggest question is where is the easiest access point to wiring in the inverer to the ignition circuit (Don't want this thing on when the engine isn't on). I do not want to wire this from the wire going to my radio as I believe that will be too much draw on that line. So does anyone know where the next best option is for tapping into a nice solid Ignition + line is near the center?

Thanks in advance.

If someone has done this before, I'd love to see pictures (I couldn't find any instance of this here or on S10)

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

If you are going to be putting an inverter capable of running anything you'll probably need to install an amplifier wiring kit. I picked up an inverter I need to install that is capable of running a reciprocating saw or small portable bandsaw. I'm planning on using a sub woofer amplifier kit to power it. If you want to switch it there are large switches for high loads.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Jamaroon will become famous soon enoughJamaroon will become famous soon enough

I have a 3000W inverter in mine. Install pics & description are in my blazer build thread linked in my signature. Post #86

What size inverter? You'll want to run a relay switched on by any accessory wire but drawing power directly from the battery. Don't know about earlier models, but on my 99, the first two columns (iirc) in the dash fuse panel are all constant power, the rest are only on with the ignition, so I just tapped into one of those to engage my relay.

Last edited by Jamaroon; 02-26-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Jamaroon, I'll be looking it over. My inverter will be considerably smaller as it doesn't need to operate power tools and such. Its more for the "creature comforts" keeping those in the back happy on a few long road trips that are planned. See I don't mind looking outside or sleeping on trips, but more and more people of this generation just can't get along without a laptop or other electronic things.

What relay did you end up using?

I don't have an exact inverter picked out yet. Got a few I'm looking at and figuring out their dimensions and what not, but as for power I'm looking at only around the 400W-600W range

Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM

I just noticed now yours is an 01, so ignore my comment about earlier models. Sorry. Your fuse box will be the same. I think I used the rear wiper circuit, attached it to the power side of the fuse.

Because of my inverter size I had to use a big 200 amp relay, I also used a 200 amp fuse.

Last edited by Jamaroon; 02-26-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

If your only looking to charge a laptop or small electronics why don't you just pick up an inverter that just plugs into a cig lighter or power outlet? I have one that I keep in my truck for charging my power tool batteries and have used it a few times to charge my laptop and a few other smaller things without issue. They are cheap and easy!!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Starting Member

No worries Jamaroon. And makes sense on the fuses/relays. I'll reference your build for pictures then.

Rexmburns I thought about it, but I like the idea of a more permanent installation, that way its there, its protected from draining the battery down (through a relay) and over draw (dedicated fuse). Also one less thing floating around the car as it will be bolted down; in the event of any sudden stops.
I may go that route, if push comes to shove for the initial trip, but ultimately I will be buying it with the intention of having it mounted up tight at a later date

Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

That certainly makes sense! I'll be installing a larger one in my Blazer similar to Jams and I'm thinking I'll put one in my Yukon soon to.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Starting Member

For the Yukon, also a large one or more for the use of travel

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM

For a 600w inverter I'd go 50A fuse & relay.

Plug in inverters are boring, these are custom therefore cooler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inverter in Center/Floor Console