Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Keyless Entry Antenna? Location?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member
packrat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keyless Entry Antenna? Location?

Does anyone know where the antenna for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) module is located? The reception range for my '99 4-Door is exceptionally short, even with new batteries in both of the key fobs. Sometimes I can be standing right next to the truck and it still fails to unlock the doors.

Anyway, I need to look into whether or not something is broken/failing or would work better if relocated. I know the RKE module is behind the kick panel near the parking brake, and I have examined it for bad connections. I didn't find anything unusual, other than I could not identify anything that looked like it was designed to deal with receiving an RF signal. In addition, I can't imagine that any RF engineer would, in their right mind, put an antenna in this location. One might as well put it inside a metal box. What am I missing?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i dont think there is an actual external antenna for it. The module is mounted to back side of the plastic panel above the drivers foot well. Its the same panel the Data link connector(OBD2 port) is mounted in

Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Actually there is a way to improve the recep of that module...i found a how to last year...i think it was on
S10crewcab.net
anyways...you can solder a wire onto the board and run it up the A pillar and it worked great.

I will see if i can find the link...it may help

http://www.s-10crewcab.net/wp/?page_id=30

Thats the page...look under keyless link...hope that helps ya out

Last edited by warthogdriver; 01-01-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Found link
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member
packrat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link warthogdriver. I will give the mod a try. I hope the receiver isn't too picky about antenna length/impedance....

The link also clears up another question I had. Apparently GM did use what's called a "stripline" antenna for this circuit. A real cost-effective (cheap-***) method. Of course it did not help us drivers a bit, when they installed the whole thing inside a metal box (the truck). Makes me want to shoot a few design engineers....

Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I went cheap on what i used...left over small gauge speaker wire...i am cheap

Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Starting Member
dakota12349 is on a distinguished road

warthogdriver can you show a vid of this? and will i have to reset my keyless remote after? i just want to make sure it works before i go and do this and it ruins the whole thing.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:30 PM
Beginning Member
Monkeywrench71986 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by packrat1969
Does anyone know where the antenna for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) module is located? The reception range for my '99 4-Door is exceptionally short, even with new batteries in both of the key fobs. Sometimes I can be standing right next to the truck and it still fails to unlock the doors.

Anyway, I need to look into whether or not something is broken/failing or would work better if relocated. I know the RKE module is behind the kick panel near the parking brake, and I have examined it for bad connections. I didn't find anything unusual, other than I could not identify anything that looked like it was designed to deal with receiving an RF signal. In addition, I can't imagine that any RF engineer would, in their right mind, put an antenna in this location. One might as well put it inside a metal box. What am I missing?
pass side of truck in dash speaker grille is the receiver, small red globe that gets lots of sun exposure, the mounting clip breaks and if you cant see the globe fill the hole in cover the range will be short. You will need an angle #2 Philips to gently lift speaker grill off and when I say gentle its as fragile as the dash bezel crunch/pop fragile. Refasten globe in correct position and height. Test if good reinstall speaker grill and done.

Last edited by Monkeywrench71986; 01-14-2021 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 09-25-2022, 04:38 PM
Joe Hoffman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
Actually there is a way to improve the recep of that module...i found a how to last year...i think it was on
S10crewcab.net
anyways...you can solder a wire onto the board and run it up the A pillar and it worked great.

I will see if i can find the link...it may help

http://www.s-10crewcab.net/wp/?page_id=30

Thats the page...look under keyless link...hope that helps ya out
It says the link is broke .. I'm having this problem now with the remote key fob barely working from the inside of the vehicle only . Would appreciate all help Ty

Old 09-25-2022, 04:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wayback Machine to the rescue!

I believe that this is the article that was being suggested:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200216...eylessant.html

And if that link fails to load at some point in the near or distant future, please find a PDF of the page attached.

As to your problem, if this mod does not help your situation and other threads on the subject do not help further, feel free to make a new post in the appropriate section for assistance.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:45 PM
Joe Hoffman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response. Not sure why my entry system started acting up like this in the first place . I'm definitely going to try this modification though . Never had good range in the first place .