Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Led projector

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM
s20theforce is on a distinguished road
Default Led projector

so I have new projectors coming that hold h1 bulbs. I'd like to put led bulbs in them. How do I wire them? Can I just wire them to the factory wiring?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What you have is a halogen housing. Putting HID or LED bulbs in there will blind other drivers on the road

Old 02-07-2017, 08:12 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

can you? yes

is it recommended? no

is it illegal? yes

Old 02-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Default Illegal?

illegal? first I've heard that. What are your sources. Most of the cars in my town have hids or leds. I currently have hid projectors, have for two years. I've been pulled over at night for traffic violation and cop looked at my lights front and back, no problem. Please elaborate. I'm new to leds.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

A simple google search will pull up the state laws.
Having any light inside a housing that is designed for halogen bulbs that is not a halogen bulb is illegal. (do you have a link to the projectors you purchased)
LED's and HID bulbs have a different area where the light is emitted which throws a lot of glare in oncoming drivers when you put HID bulbs or LED bulbs in a halogen housing.

New cars come with LED and HID bulbs and some older cars because they have the optics designed to distribute the light properly so it does not blind other drivers.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

There's actually a huge amount of math and design that goes into a lighting optic. HIDs source of light shape is closer to halogens than LEDs arranged in any way, but all 3 require distinct differences on how the light is reflected / refracted.

That being said the H1 LED bulbs should plug right in just like the HIDs.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Default link

Originally Posted by richphotos
A simple google search will pull up the state laws.
Having any light inside a housing that is designed for halogen bulbs that is not a halogen bulb is illegal. (do you have a link to the projectors you purchased)
LED's and HID bulbs have a different area where the light is emitted which throws a lot of glare in oncoming drivers when you put HID bulbs or LED bulbs in a halogen housing.

New cars come with LED and HID bulbs and some older cars because they have the optics designed to distribute the light properly so it does not blind other drivers.
L+R Chrome CCFL Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlight+Bumper Lamp 98-04 Blazer S10 | eBay
I did ask them and they said these were compatible with hid and led. But here is the link you rquested

Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Well leds didn't fit neither did the hids I had. So I guess I'll be sticking with the halogen. Anyone know a good blue or white halogen bulb brand. I hate the yellow

Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Brian Hinzpeter is on a distinguished road

Sylvania ZXE is a preety good bulb they are a white bulb just hint of blue and they are damn bright.