Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

More HID problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member
tansdad is on a distinguished road
Angry More HID problems

You get what you pay for.

I just bought two HID conversion kits for my 1997 Blazer.....one for high beam one for low beam. The price is good and delivery was quick.

However.......when I opened the box they had thrown everything together in one box and absolutely nothing was any type of label or marking on them. I ended up with four bulbs which look the same.....eight ballasts.....four metal and four plastic. The metal ones have some type of black box relay on them. I also got four extension wires.

My questions are

Does it make a difference which bulb goes where? Two came in plastic cases and two wrapped in foam other than that I see no difference

Do the high beams take a higher watt ballast?

The wiring diagram that came with it in approx two in by two in and only shows which wires go the bulbs. Duh that one is easy..

Old 09-17-2015, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You have 8 ballasts? Where did you order this stuff from?

As for the bulbs, the only difference between the high and low is there are differing tabs on the two so you can't install a 9005 in a 9006 socket and vice versa. The cheap-o bulbs you got may or may not have these tabs, in which case, pick a set and install them as you see fit.

The 'relay things' are actually igniters, which all ballasts should have, but some are outside the main case. Shouldn't matter one way or the other, just try to stick with one set as differing sets may have different warm up times or wattage's ect. ect.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the feedback. I am going to attempt to install them this weekend. I may be back for more advice.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Beginning Member

they are in and working but the problem is that it takes forever for the high beam to brighten up. It there something that can be done about that or is it something I just have to live with?

Old 09-20-2015, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Something you have to live with, since HID's need time to warm up. That is why people usually just do the low beams for HID's and leave the highs as halogen if you are not doing a proper retrofit.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:21 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Or you could drop $110 on some morimoto ballasts. Supposedly warm up in about 5 sec.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Beginning Member
damadtech is on a distinguished road

I bought my stuff from The Retrofit Source and got the Morimoto units Thogert mentioned. They fire up the high beams extremely fast but as you said, you get what you pay for. Wait until Black Friday just around the corner and check their prices. Last year I bought three complete sets (1 headlight set for the Blazer, 1 headlight set & 1 fog lamp set for the SSEi), power and signal extensions and upgraded to X2 bulbs for right on $400 shipped, normal price is around $170 each set with the upgrades.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Ryan02Stang is on a distinguished road

I do HID's for regular headlights and left the halogen bulbs in there for the brights.

Works much better for flashing my brights!