Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

off road lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM
deegan26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default off road lights

I don't know if this has been discussed before but what is the maximum wattage for off road lights you could put on the stock battery/alternator with a single battery?

I was thinking about doing 2x 100-130 watt KC daylighters up front and then 4x 55 watt KC 26 or 57 series up on the roof rack.

Would I be able to do that?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In basic terms, Watts = Amps x Voltage. Amperage is what you have to be mindful of.

Your stock alternator is likely a 105A alternator (CS130D - RPO code K60). You can check your RPO codes to verify. They are located on the RPO label inside the glove box.

Most lights are rated at a nominal voltage of 12V. It should state the power rating on the packaging somewhere.

So, assuming that the lights you are inquiring about have the indicated wattage at a 12V rating, your total amperage draw for these lights would be (2*100+4*55)/12 = 420/12 = 35A (for the 130W lights instead of 100W the total comes to 40A). An additional 35-40A draw could possibly be pushing the limits of a stock 105A alternator given the rest of the current draw on the alternator from the stock components. It just depends on how much stuff you have turned on at once.

If you wanted to up the output from your charging system, you could swap in a higher output alternator from a full size truck. The AD244 alternator was offered on the full size pickups and has an output range of 130-145A depending on application and will be a bolt in replacement for the 105A alternator currently on your truck with the exception that it will likely require a 1" to 1.5" longer serpentine belt. There will also be an unused bolt left over that bolts to the back side of the CS130D alternator, but you do not have to worry about this. Many people have done this modification with no problems.

The AD244 is capable of producing 100A/14.5V at idle while the CS130D struggles to hold 13V/50A at idle.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM

sorry forgot to mention that its a 96 s10 blazer ls would that change anything you said swartlkk

Old 12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

nope.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM

So all I'd have to do is get an AD244 alternator and a longer belt and I'm good for the light hook up? And would the AD244 fit the stock mount for the CS130D?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

As stated, the AD244 is a bolt in / plug in replacement for the CS130D. You will not use the bolt that threads into the rear of the CS130D, but besides the longer belt, that is it.

You could try that light setup with your current charging system, but keep an eye on things while you are at idle.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartlkk your saying just the longer belt right? 1" to 1.5" longer. what i'm asking is, .5" is quite a difference in size. Wouldn't it be the same belt that everyone would use? Like if someone has it done then they can get that part number or the exact length of the belt and it should fit right??

Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

You can start with the 1" longer belt. If that doesn't fit or fits too tightly, go to the 1.5". The difference isn't as much as you would think.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
butters is an unknown quantity at this point

i run my 4 front grill lights that are 55w each and 4 on the roof that are 100w each and with my factory alt/regular battery it can be scary volts drop a lot and hitting the gas hard is not a good plan with them all on, new heavy duty alt will be going in as soon as i can buy a optima battery soon

Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

when all my lights are on and I'm not in park and I'm idling my voltage can go down to almost less than 10 when I have my woofer blasting. As soon as I rev the engine or have it in park idle the volts are about normal. I'm running probably 2000 watts with all my stuff so you should be fine