Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

please help!! blinkers wont work!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Starting Member
blazer9901 is on a distinguished road
Angry please help!! blinkers wont work!!

Hello, I have a 99 blazer 4x4 and i cannot get the blinkers to work properly.
my blinkers/hazzards wont work (not even the arrows in the dash).
My bottom two brake lights dont work but the top one does.
I just replaced the multi-function switch hoping that would fix my problem, but it did nothing!! Im in serious need of some advice because its my daily driver and i cant drive around without brake lights and signals.

thanks,
george

Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

2 words, Hand signals LOL Did you check the fuses? or the bulbs, are they all burnt out? that would mean a short. If they look fine you may have bad ground or loose wire. Dont panic

Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Starting Member

correction. since the multifunction switch both the bottom and top brake lights work just no hazzards or turn signals.

yes all the fuses and bulbs are good.
where would the ground wire(s) be located that would cause this.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Check your hazard switch. Those are known to go out and cause problems like that. Try wiggling it around with the turn signals on to see if it changes anything.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Horton is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem not too long ago. Turn signals stopped working, but everything else worked. Parts store said it was the multi function switch and that I didn't have a relay for those in my vehicle. Wasn't even close..... If you have cruise control and that still works you should try checking your turn signal relay as well as the hazard relay. Their not in the fuse box but somewhere behind the dash or glove box. It was a 5 dollar part for mine and fixed it in 20 minutes. I was told by two different places that it was DEFINITELY the multi switch, came back and laughed in their face when I said I fixed it for 5 bucks. Maybe somebody with a 99' can help you locate them....

Mine was located behind the ashtray thing, still needed to take out a bit of the bezels and lower trim to get to it, but sure enough that was my problem, try checking that out and replacing it just in case, couldn't hurt.

Went through the hand signal phase and even got pulled over doing them haha. Hope this helps.

Did a little looking around for ya real quick, found a location reference to a 98' zr2. Swartikk had posted a link to a thread that gives pictures step by step to remove some stuff to find your relay flashers, just in case that IS the problem.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...1091/#post5040

Check that out ^^^ and see if your flashers are there. Yes the thread is about something completely different, but there are pics ! You will be looking for a round looking fuse thing, about 1" radius I think. There will be two of them side by side, ones for the Turn signals, the other the Hazard relay. They pull right out.

Last edited by Thogert; 08-05-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the edit feature.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Starting Member

the hazard switch is brand new (par of the multifunction switch) so thats not it.

thanks horton!, Ill pull the dash apart and look for those relays tomorrow. hopefully ill get back to y'all with some good news.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thogert
Check your hazard switch. Those are known to go out and cause problems like that. Try wiggling it around with the turn signals on to see if it changes anything.
ive actually had a few cars come into work where the signals werent working, and it was actually the hazards that didnt work. someone hit the button so the hazards were on which disabled the turn signals. something simple you can try is just try the turn signals with the hazard switch in both positions

Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Starting Member

So I replaced the hazard flasher relay deal behind the glove box and the signals still dont work!!!! Im extremely frustrated and dont know what else to do.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Go to your tail lights and check the ground wire. Follow the wires back from the lights looking for a loose or broken wire. Bad grounds can raise hell

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Horton is on a distinguished road

You replaced the Hazard Flasher ? Did you replace the turn signal flasher as well ? Was thinking that the Signal flasher would fix the problem, not the Hazard....

Quick Reply: please help!! blinkers wont work!!