Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

rear hatch fuse and or relay labeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Beginning Member
Droidster is on a distinguished road
Default rear hatch fuse and or relay labeling

1998 S-$-10door LT 4wd

cold winter day the glass won't open

replaced the fuse in the cabin panel

can't find the one in the engine fuse panel

what is it labeled?

thanks

p.s. i have read most threads already

Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Starting Member
Chic_Bowdrie is on a distinguished road

It was 94 degrees here today. Is it still cold in BC lol?

Was the fuse you replaced blown? And now the hatch still won't open? I'm just guessing cause your post wasn't clear.

I'm interested because I looked in vain for fuses in engine when I had trouble with a rear window washer.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
Default no its hot

it quit working in the winter, i parked it since and have been fixing the front diff because a 30 cent thrust washer broke and damaged the mid shaft gear.

i bought this thing for my girlfriend and now shes gone so i am trying to get it in shape to sell it

yes the fuse mirr/ock was blown, replaced it also tried a good actuator at the back

read a thread that says the horn fuse and relay can cause this but not ready to shotgun trouble shoot

just clicks

my bad eyes get blurring trying to follow the schematic

if it has t**ts or tires it will cause you grief

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Droidster
if it has t**ts or tires it will cause you grief
Yes, I understand that very well.

Where is the click coming from? Do you hear it in the tailgate?

What I saw, when I had the tailgate guts exposed, there is a motor that is actuated when the release is pressed up front or when you push the button on the tailgate. A lever swings over and opens the latch on the glass. The click might be the motor working properly. If so, then you have to find out why the latch isn't opening.

You might try opening the tailgate from inside. I think I did that. If you can do that, then you can manually close the latch with a screw driver and use the tailgate button to see if it opens the latch. If all that works, must be some kind of mechanical problem.

If the motor is working, but doesn't open the latch, you'll have to open up the tailgate. On mine, there are two screws on the side and then pry up the cover carefully so you don't break the clips and/or clip holders inside. The four at the bottom of mine were already broken off by a previous owner. There might be 10 screws to remove to get to the guts. Once you get inside, you can diagnose the problem.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

the click is up front when i push the dash button, the rear actuator does nothing, it is all open and the mechanically part seems fine

is there a relay in the engine fuse box?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

got a copy of the owners manual and there is no lift gate relay or fuse in the engine compartment, might be a issue with eyeless entry so off to get new remote batteries

Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Droidster
is there a relay in the engine fuse box?
Don't think so, but '96 might be different. I looked for schematics and found this https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...on-nogo-48364/ which might help.

And I see you consulted your owner's manual. I don't have keyless entry, but my manual gives all conditions where liftgate won't open, like have to be in park or neutral. With manual trans you have to apply parking brake.

Also I listened for click at dash release and heard only the solenoid activating at the endgate.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

got new battery but key less still won't work, went through the hold lock and unlock to resynchronize the system which is suppose to end in a lock.

nothing happens, guess i have to figure this out now

Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Starting Member

Then you definitely should look for a 98 schematic.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member

i can't fix any of my rear glass and key less entry problems, next tstep i thought i would try a code reader for error messages as the computer does not seem to be talking to my remote and the steps to program don't work.

Are there error codes for the power lock system?

Quick Reply: rear hatch fuse and or relay labeling