Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

RKE Wiring schematic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 PM
dharvey4651 is on a distinguished road
Default RKE Wiring schematic?

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT and I'm looking for the wiring schematic for the factory RKE system. I'm trying to see if it would be possible to use it as my door lock wires for my aftermarket security system instead of the wires at the BCM.

Thought process behind this is when my factory key fob locks and unlocks the doors, it also turns on the dome light. I'm pretty sure they call it illuminated entry.

My aftermarket security system presently does not duplicate this factory behavior and I would really like it to if possible.

Now my interior lights do work, my factory RKE works perfect and all of my door switches are known good.

If anybody has a better way of getting illuminated entry then by all means let me know because I've been missing it ever since I put this system in my blazer.

Last edited by dharvey4651; 06-09-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Update-

I got on Alldata today when I got to work and pulled the wiring diagram for the RKE system and it isn't as detailed as it should be.

Does anyone have the GM schematic?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a pulse timer if your security system does not have the capabilities to do this? I'm pretty sure that the dome light is controled internally by the keyless entry system, not the lock wires. As in pulsing the lock wires at the RKE still won't turn on the dome lights. A pulse timer could be used to turn on the dome light for a set period of time, and some are programable to control the amount of time.

The other quite simple option would be to have the security system pulse the door sensor wire at the same time as it triggers the unlock wire. In the Blazers this would trigger the dome light to stay on for 30 seconds. You would need to use diodes to isolate the trigger wires, and probably a relay to trigger the door sensor wire so you don't overload the disarm output from your security system. If I were trying to do what you're describing this is the method I would use. For what it's worth, I was a 12v journeyman installer for 5 years.

Based on your comments above I think you have some experience with 12v systems, but if you need more detailed information about how to do what I'm describing I can give you that.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 06-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 PM

I do have a basic understanding of 12v systems but by no means do I have the knowledge you do.

I do have a confession to make though. Most of this security system was installed by a guy who claimed to know what he was doing but I ended up finishing certain parts he couldn't figure out through trial and error.

The door locks were one of those things. After he installed the system, I could lock and unlock with the remote that came with the new system but none of the lock switches or factory fob worked anymore. I had to fix that. He also didn't hook up any of the door trigger wires or the siren so I had to do all of that too.

Just making sure I understand you correctly(dumbing it up for myself), you're saying I should T off of the unlock wire coming from the aftermarket security module and pulse the door ajar sensor(which turns on interior lights when triggered) and this should in essence give me a working dome-on when unlock.

I'm assuming I would need to diode isolate to prevent false alarms. I don't think a relay should be necessary because the unlock wires are negative wires. No power overload risk when there's no power.

As far as the door sensor wire is , concerned, where would I find that and what color should it be?

Would I be able to tap into one of the wires at the door jamb switch in the dash on the driver's side? I know in 2000, they relocated the door switches to sensors in the latch in the door but I still have wires coming from the door switch on the drivers side.

Last edited by dharvey4651; 06-10-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Nevermind the door jamb switch suggestion. Just checked and that switch only controls the chime when the key is in the ignition(off position) and drivers door is opened.

So yeah I'm not totally sure which wire or where to look for it.

Last edited by dharvey4651; 06-10-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The lock/unlock wires are actually a 300mA +12v pulse. The door trigger for the dome light is a -12v. Doing some more thinking here, and you could also use the alarm's factory disarm output which will be a -12v output to trigger the door pin. That way you won't need diodes to isolate the wires. What brand & model of alarm system do you have?

I think the dome light supervision wire you want is grey/black at the BCM, and you may need to cut the wire and put in a 1amp diode with cathode (stripe side) away from the BCM to prevent feedback. I can't remember off the top of my head with this. I would try just adding the disarm wire from your alarm system to the dome light wire at the BCM, and then test it to see if it works properly, and if there is any feedback. You won't break anything doing this as it's all low current, and the output is a -12v, same as the system. This post might help. There's a link in there as well to this post on the12volt.com.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 PM

I have a codealarm ca6552 2-way system with LCD remote.

I have the instructions for the system as a pdf file but they don't give vehicle specific wiring information.

manual

Update - here's what I did. I tapped the blue unlock wire aand ran a wire back to the gray/black wire in the light blue plug at the BCM.

Doing this did turn on the interior lights when pressed unlock but only for about half a second. They flashed just like the parking lights on the outside of the truck but did not latch on for 30 seconds like I'd hoped. Like the factory system behaves.

What if I used the violet/black aux 1 wire in the 6-pin output harness and tapped directly into that gray/black wire at the BCM?

The aux 1 wire in my system can be configured to act as a dome light output to be used for illuminated entry using the feature bank programming. I don't know if it wouldwwork or not but I imagine it's worth a try?

Last edited by dharvey4651; 06-10-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, I'm not very familiar with your alarm system, but it looks to me like the wire you want from your alarm is the Lightgreen/Black wire in the 6 pin output harness. This is a factory alarm disarm wire. This wire will likely not have been used in the install in your Blazer.

Test the wire at the BCM to make sure it is the dome light supervision wire, and then go ahead with connecting the disarm wire. If it behaves the same as in my '96, it will turn on the dome light for 30 seconds if you pulse ground to the wire.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 PM

I got it working but not by using the factory disarm wire. I went into feature bank programming and changed aux 1 to the dome light output setting then ran a wire from the violet/black aux 1 wire to the gray/black dome light supervision wire at the BCM.

I used no diode since both wires are 12v negative and walla. As soon as I press the unlock button on my aftermarket key fob, the dome light(and all other interior lights) turn on for 30 seconds.

This is only on unlock though. It doesn't turn on the interior lights when locking the truck like it did stock but then again, if I'm locking my truck and waking away anyway, who needs the dome light on?

Thanks for all your help. It was that gray/black wire I was missing all this time and as soon as you told me to use it everything works great.

Thanks again,

Dan.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 PM
BF Veteran

Perfect. Thanks for reporting your solution. Many alarms do have that feature, but I must have missed it in the manual for yours.