Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Security Light Flashes, Truck Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 AM
cynthia.k is on a distinguished road
Default Security Light Flashes, Truck Won't Start

Hi.

I went to start my truck ('98 Blazer) but when I turned the key in the ignition, the lights would come on, (interior and headlamps) but it would not start. No clicking and it wouldn't attempt to turn over. I noticed that the red security light was flashing (and it still is, with key out of ignition). I had not experienced any problems with it (no security light flashing, no stalling, no problems starting) before it failed, other than my drivers door lock wouldn't open when I first went out to get into my truck. Occasionally, for the past couple of years, I would sometimes have to jiggle the key in the lock to get it to unlock, but this time it wouldn't, so I went around to the back hatch and unlocked it there (dirt or something in the lock, or maybe just going bad?). It started up okay, I drove it into town and stopped once, shut it off ...jumped back into it a minute later and drove to the next location, shut it off and about 1/2 hour later, it failed me.

It sat for about 3-4 hours and when my husband came home tonight, we drove in and tried my other key to try and start it. I thought maybe it was the anti-theft (passlock or whatever it's called). When I turned the key, he could hear what sounded like the solenoid trying to engage (sounded like a whirring noise and I thought I could smell something hot afterwards). If it were the anti-theft, it would it even send power to the starter? What I've read online is confusing, some have said their vehicle will start and then die, some say theirs won't start all all like mine. If the key were failing, would trying another key work or would it have to be reset somehow once the security feature was activated?

I've noticed lately that the gauge for the battery (which normally stays a mark past the middle of the gauge - at 14.5) has been creeping to the right every time I drive it (maybe once a week). This evening, it was almost 3/4 of the way to the right (so it's about halfway between 14 and 19). Doesn't this mean that my battery is overcharging? A bad voltage regulator, maybe? Could there be something bad in the ignition switch that has to do with this passlock feature?

I'm probably going to have it towed to a shop in the morning, but I don't want to put an arm and a leg into it. I'd rather start shopping for something else if it's going to be expensive and I don't want to have to deal with the expense of a dealership fixing it if my local trusty mechanic can do the job.

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Passlock does not inhibit the starter. It will kill the injectors shortly after starting if the proper key is not detected. Trying another key was a smart move!

Your problem sounds like a defective starter based on the sounds you heard with the second key. But the ignition switch could also be suspect and should be tested. I created a thread in the Tech Article section that details testing of the ignition switch.

If the switch tests fine and it still isn't starting properly, it likely is a defective starter. To get it to start temporarily you could try hitting the exterior of the starter with a hammer while someone turns the engine over. This may only work once or twice if at all so don't rely on it.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM

swartlkk,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Why does the security light flash if it's a bad starter? I can understand why if the ignition switch was bad.

Can you post a link to the ignition switch testing? I found a link to the ignition system check and one for replacement, but I can't find a link for testing of the switch, sorry.

Would a bad starter cause the voltage to be higher than normal on the battery? I'm still curious as to why my voltage has been getting higher each time I let it sit for days and then start it up.

I had it towed to my mechanic this morning, but they don't know when they can get to it. Hopefully, I will get it back before the holiday comes. =(

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The thread I spoke of is linked to at the bottom of my signature. It doesn't get into the basics of electrical testing, but provides the diagrams to follow.

The security light shouldn't blink of it was just the starter which is why I mentioned the switch first. The starter is relatively easy to test though.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The thread I spoke of is linked to at the bottom of my signature. It doesn't get into the basics of electrical testing, but provides the diagrams to follow.

The security light shouldn't blink of it was just the starter which is why I mentioned the switch first. The starter is relatively easy to test though.
And, if it's the switch? Is this something that a regular mechanic would be familiar with replacing, or would it have to go to a dealership?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator

It is a very common repair on these trucks. Your mechanic should be capable of diagnosing & replacing the switch if the diagnostics show it to be at fault. If we can do it in our garage with common hand tools, any mechanic worth your money should be able to do it in their shop.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

I'm glad to hear that. I just hope they have time to get to it before Christmas. I live in a rural area and am stuck with no transportation. =(

Thanks for the help. I'll post back if it's not the switch.

Happy holidays.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Well...

The mechanic was able to get my truck into the garage on Monday so it would be ready to work on this morning when it was scheduled. When they got into it on Monday evening, it fired right up. He's started it several times and it's working fine.

They said it also fired right up this morning. They put it on a computer and checked codes and could find nothing wrong. They said they didn't know if a dealership may have some way of testing the anti-theft codes or not. He is at a loss of what is going on with it. He said he could put a new ignition switch in it and still have the same problem.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Update:

I have found that the 'security' light I've been talking about is actually some sort of an after-market *something* that someone has installed on the vehicle (which is STILL flashing). I was reading my manual and saw that the security light that comes on for the anti-theft is in the dash, not installed between the headlight switch and the steering column, as this 'thing' is.

I bought the vehicle back in 2001, used, and thought when I bought it that it was some sort of a warning for something ...maybe a car alarm or something that no longer worked, but never really paid too much attention to it since it has never come on before.

My truck is starting up normally although this light is flashing. I'm wondering if they are related somehow, I'm guessing they are since it was dark when I drove the night that it broke down and I would have noticed it flashing beforehand. I'm going to take it to someone (hopefully) this weekend to trace down the wires and see if they can figure out what it's for. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere in fear of it not starting again if I shut it off. Also wondering if something may be loose and when the wrecker towed it to the shop if that affected it starting again.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

does you light look something like this ?
flashing led - Google Search

Guys were installing them to prevent clowning jackasses
they were just a simple LED that flashes $4
Most turds that might try to break in would likely be scared off just by its sight
I have one that is turned on by my car alarm on the back of my rearview mirror but they could just be wired direct to any power source

I would remove the panel its attached to and check the wiring

Quick Reply: Security Light Flashes, Truck Won't Start