Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

shift lights and odometer gone out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Starting Member
blazerowner95 is on a distinguished road
Default shift lights and odometer gone out?

I just bought a 98 blazer 4x4. When I bout it the shift guage and odometer guage worked, the other day when I got in I looked down and neither were working just completly black. Can someplease help me figure out what's wrong? Truck has 140000 + miles if that helps

Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point

My odometer did the same thing. Replaced the cluster and now it works (with 49k more on it)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
MM1
Starting Member
MM1 is on a distinguished road
Default Same problem plus more

I have a 99 blazer that i bought two years ago, recently the odometer has been malfunctioning, needles moving all over and lights flickering on and off, and also my mileage reading is gone, now it just displays Error, anyone had this before that can help?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
scubacamper is on a distinguished road

When replacing the cluster, does the mileage change? In other words, is the mileage stored in the computer or in the cluster?
My '99 4x4 has the same problem - whenever I bang on the dash, the illumination comes back. It's driving me crazy and I suspect there's a loose connection somewhere in there.

I've taken it out and attempted to access the inner-workings but I decided not to proceed as it appeared I would ruin the cluster housing.

Has anyone repaired this issue (I can solder) successfully without replacing the entire cluster?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
NoFlopScott is on a distinguished road

My LEDs work on occasion, if I have to see what's going on I press the top area of the cluster and they come on. Sometimes they even stay on. Since the speedometer and other gauges work, I'm not worried

Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Beginning Member
Brian5792 is on a distinguished road

This just happened to me today on my '98 LT! Got on Forum ASAP to see what the problem(s) could be. In my case, it comes and goes and doesn't seem to be a reaction to hitting bumps in the road. Manual says there are a couple of fuses serving the "Gages" (#4) and "Cluster" (#11) but I haven't checked these as yet. There seem to be A LOT of posts related to the instruments and malfunctioning dash lites. And a wide range of advice. In addition, my ABS, Battery, Seat belt (sometimes) lites are on (even though these things are fine) and the temp gauge and the light surrounding the "PRND321" to tell you what gear I'm in do not work either. (occasionally the Temp Gauge and Gear lite start working again, but not often and not for very long) A search of posts made me think a worn out ignition cylinder or the ignition control module was to blame. Now, with the Gear Selector lites and Odom acting up too, I worry that switching the entire cluster (like zball94 did) is the way to go. Geez... sounds a bit exteme and expensive. I have about the same mileage as blazerowner95 (147,500). In response to another similar post, "CaptainHook" suggested that Chevy dealers have a bi-directional scan tool which is more sophisticated/accurate than the garden variety tools independent shops might use. While I suspect most of us avoid dealers, maybe getting a diagnosis from one is worth it if they actually can pinpoint the problem(s).

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM
seattlerules322 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem with my odometer. When I bought it the mileage wasn't displaying so the guy put in a new cluster. For the record the vehicle mileage is NOT stored in the cluster, as the guy wanted me to believe. The cluster he put in was the kind without the tach so I switched the original cluster back in. To my surprise the odometer lit up and displayed the mileage. It eventually went out again but at least I got the true mileage of the vehicle. Now it will usually come on when is start up and go out after 15 or 20 minutes.