Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Small HID Driving Lights with High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Small HID Driving Lights with High Beams

I'm looking at getting something like this
Navigator NV-509W Cyber White Driving Light Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Navigator NV-509W Cyber White Driving Light Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
and putting it on my roof with an HID kit. It seems to get decent reviews, do you think it'll work well with an HID kit?

Also, I'd like to wire them to come on automatically with my highbeams. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? My blazer has the half power high beam DRL's, but they don't work (I'm ok with this) lol

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Wire it like this diagram but instead of having a switch, tap a wire into a power wire running to one of the high beam bulbs and use that to activate the relay.

Name:  kc_wiring.gif
Views: 7473
Size:  17.7 KB

Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Starting Member

So which wire from the swItch should go to the power wire instead? The load or supply?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Starting Member

Also do you have a link to the roof lights you used with HIDs on your build? I want small roof lights like those, not mickey mouse ears lol

Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'd be afraid to use those lights for hids, as they are made of plastic and may melt near the bulbs.

If you want to wire the hids into the high beams without a switch, tap into your high beam power wire and connect it to pin 86 in that diagram. If you want the ability to turn them off so they don't come on automatically, use the switch like in the diagram but use the high beam power wire to connect to the supply pin on the switch.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM

/\/\/\/\ this and heres the lights I have on the roof

Pilot Automotive/Round driving lights (PL-820C) | Driving Light | AutoZone.com

heres the hid's
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

You need the H3 bulbs, wattage is your choice, and so is color (I have 4500k and thats what I recommend). You will need two kits for the 4 lights

Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Check your local laws! Anywhere I have ever been its illegal to have any other lights on while your high beams are on. It was once described to me as you cannot have more than 4 total lights on while on the road and the high beams count as 4 since they are brightest. The other thing to check for is the height in which you can legally have your lights mounted for on road use. To me this all seems silly and rediculous but I just wanted to throw that out there so you don't end up with a preventable fine.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Check your local laws! Anywhere I have ever been its illegal to have any other lights on while your high beams are on. It was once described to me as you cannot have more than 4 total lights on while on the road and the high beams count as 4 since they are brightest. The other thing to check for is the height in which you can legally have your lights mounted for on road use. To me this all seems silly and rediculous but I just wanted to throw that out there so you don't end up with a preventable fine.
Hmm that's interesting. My train of thought was they're conntected to my highbeams, so I'm not gonna use them when anyone else is near me. But I think I'll be ok. If the lifted Ram 3500's I see running around here with blinding HID's can get away with it, I'm sure I'll be fine using roof lights on a deserted country road/trail. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Yeep, i got one of those tickets. Car was coming at me with their high beams on, SO I flash my highs at them and they didnt turn them off. So I flip on all my lights and turns out it was a state trooper. So after disputing it in court it was reduced to almost nothing.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Funny a Wisconsin state trooper was the one that told me about the law years ago! I uses to sit and talk to him on country backroads and learn all kinds of wierd laws. Did you know its illegal to drive without windshield washer fluid in your car in WI?

Quick Reply: Small HID Driving Lights with High Beams