Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

trailer brake controller [mounted on trailer]

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Question trailer brake controller [mounted on trailer]

I have an 18 foot car hauler flat bed [it was my last BIG welding project ].....I loan it out twice a year to the town parade committee for their parades ..... .......I usually get it back with wiring that needs attention... If it wasn't for a good cause, no body but me would use it..........

I am rewiring the whole thing this time .......

I asked the last guy that pulled it if he used the brakes on the trailer..........He said he didn't even have a controller.........

I don't know exactly what colorado law is for trailer brakes???

Now for my question ........:-)

I have an extra controller........I am trying to figure out if i can set it up with the trailer [on the trailer] using a battery or battery pack for power to set the brakes....in conjunction with the vehicle brake ???

I bought a two wheel dolly with this set up..it worked so well that i didn't even tear it apart to see how it ticked.......I just know that it had a controller in the box that worked just off of the brake light power......I didn't have to have a hot wire or battery........i sold the damn thing ...

I'm going to start my experiment tomorrow.......just wandering if anyone here has knowledge of this project???