Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Trying this again wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question Trying this again wiring issues

Ok Im trying this again,I asked for help a while back which I kinda got with a lot of diagrams that I don't understand how to read.They don't corrulate with what the wiring harness looks like.Attached are some pics of some wires that I need help with trying to figure out where they go.Last time when I was working this problem the weather turned fridgid and I could no longer try and figure this out.You will notice in one pic a 2 piece red and black fuseable link wire with a terminal that I need help with finding out where it goes.On another pic is a box attached to the driverside fender where I hooked up another short red wire.Im not sure if its in the correct position or not.somebody with a 96 could look under the hood and take pics of these wires it would help a lot I think.
Thanks Aaron

Attached Thumbnails Trying this again wiring issues-100_2721.jpg   Trying this again wiring issues-100_2722.jpg   Trying this again wiring issues-100_2724.jpg  

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 03-30-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

My first question is... does the truck run? Any lights on in the dash, like a battery light?

The first 2 pics could be the 1 of fusible linked cables to alternator.... last pic shows the firewall power box... basically it's 12+v always hot. I wouldn't just add something to it without 1st knowing what it connects to. Take note that there are unconnected plugs for diagnosing equipment that sometimes may be mistaken for something unplugged. One back there is an orange wire with a connector for testing fuel pump power/function.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM

No truck does not run has been sitting for 4 years with me slowly trying to put it all back together after installing a rebuilt engine and trans.The wire with the fuseable link has been extened so it could reach the altenator but I found out it doesn't go there.It was originaly only about 7-8 inches long coming off the wiring harness..
Someone told me the other red wire goes to the fuel relay box so I though that's what the box was on the left fender.There was an extra terminal thereo that was open so that's why I hooked the wire there.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 PM
kavemanleee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 S10 Blazer & is not the same. However, your picture of the "box attached to the driverside fender" appears to be a Grounding Bus Bar. All of those would be negative ground and they all look terribly corroded. Not good. Verify that bus bar to ground with a multimeter - your newest best friend. Good luck.

Last edited by kavemanleee; 03-31-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Question

You are correct about the 97`s being different Im not positive on this but I think only the 96`s had this type of wiring system.The terminals on the box connected to the left inner fender aren't realy corroded it the picture I think that makes it look that way.The box has a black plastic cover on it I recently took it off to take the picture and show where I connected the wire.This wiring situation realy has me baffled and is holding me up.I need someone who has a 96 for comparison for the wiring.Some body once told me that the wire with a fuseable link is actualy a ground but it doesn't make sense a ground wire would need the link.Been trying to find my test light and I have a multimeter.What exactly would I be looking for with a multimeter and would I have the black wire on com or ohms?The dial with the red numbers on it would I have that on vdc vac or adc?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 PM

To keep it simple: A test light will light up if one end is connected to a good ground, & the other is connected to a live, hot wire. A multimeter will show 12 volts DC in the same connections. (Multimeter: Black lead Common.... Red lead Volt/Ohms.)
When the multimeter is set to Ohms, it will read 0-00.5 across a good fuse and also 0-00.5 between ground & ground. When you touch your red & black leads together, and set to Ohms, it will show 0 - 0.003 if your leads & multimeter are good. Practice on your battery terminals to get further understanding. go to
for a 32 minute, part 1 of multimeter for beginners. I recommend do not use the Amps testing unless someone shows you or you will damage your multimeter.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 PM

1 more thing to emphasize sir, there may be 100's of others to read this post & I do not know your level of experience, nor theirs. Therefore ALWAYS check your multimeter before use: Black lead plugged into Common, Red lead plugged into Volts/Ohms. Multimeter dial or setting is set to Ohms. Now pinch the other end of the leads together with your thumb & forefinger. The display should read 0 - 0.05 ...... Now pull, bend and twist each wire individually (& moderately) to see if the display changes dramatically. If it does, that red or black has a bad connection & needs repair or replacement. Without doing this 1st in every troubleshooting process, you can lose many hours and dollars

Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Question

Honestly my experience working or using a multi test meter is about null.I have used to test battery voltiages and that's about it.The meter is fairly new I got it as a gift hoping that Id learn how to use it one day lol.Thank you for your help and the video its of great help for me.Looks like its going to get cold again with rain and snow so when I can do some test I`ll post the results I get.
So yet some more questions does the 96 Jimmy use a fuel relay box and if so where is it?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM

My "Chilton's / Haynes Auto Manual" for my '97 S-10 4x4 Blazer directed me to the glove box & I replaced all 3 because that rig has 225,000 miles on it.
We're never too young or old to learn something new - K.A.Manley

Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Question increase of knowledge multimeter testing

Well guys and gals I have been giving my multimeter lots of work outs here lately.It started out because I have a ignition wiring problem on my motorcycle.I have learned how to do continuity test quite well over the last few days.
So heres what I did,I tested for voltage coming from the 2 red wires that Im having problems trying to figure out where they go.I have concluded they are both hot and have 12 volts coming off the terminals on each end.
With that said I still haven't figured out where they go..................................
Question how many wires connect to the positive side of solenoid post going to the starter.I have the positive side from the battery hooked up so far.
I have one positive wire going to the altenator and then the plug.
So Im still trying to figure out where this 2 red wire with the fuseable link and one terminal connects to?
The other positive wire on the drivers side that's about 6 inches long has a inline fuse and Im stumped where it goes.
Is there anyway that I can possibly get a lead or two on where these wires connect to?

Quick Reply: Trying this again wiring issues