Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Under Hood Light Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
blueblazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default Under Hood Light Fuse

What amp fuse is needed for the under hood light on a 1986 S-10 Blazer? I know it's one of those short ones, but what amp?

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

I think i replaced mine with a 1 or 2 amp fuse. Check your owner's manual for the power rating of the bulb (my manual has it but I don't have the manual at the moment) and then do the math. Power = current x voltage (or PIE as i remember it) for this application you want current so it turns into Current = Power / Voltage. Power will be whatever the manual say it is, and voltage is 12V. Whatever number you come up with is how much current is going through the bulb so get a fuse rated slightly higher than that number. Annd, you're all set! good luck!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

any thing under 5 amps should be ok.. the guy posted above me has the math formula you may use that method

Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by radiokid
any thing under 5 amps should be ok.. the guy posted above me has the math formula you may use that method
Thanks. I put in a 3amp and everything seems to be OK.

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
I think i replaced mine with a 1 or 2 amp fuse. Check your owner's manual for the power rating of the bulb (my manual has it but I don't have the manual at the moment) and then do the math. Power = current x voltage (or PIE as i remember it) for this application you want current so it turns into Current = Power / Voltage. Power will be whatever the manual say it is, and voltage is 12V. Whatever number you come up with is how much current is going through the bulb so get a fuse rated slightly higher than that number. Annd, you're all set! good luck!
Thanks. Did the math to check and put in a 3 amp. So far everything looks OK.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Supposed tp be a 4 amp but whatever is working you is good.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the update. When I did the math it came out 3.XX, so now that I look at it a 4 amp might have been better. I'll keep an eye on the 3 amp I have in there and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

....stupid question but where is this fuse? Mine on my 95 went out and I can't find an inline fuse. Maybe it's hidden in the socket base or molex or something? Sorry to steal the thread but it seemed relevant...

Thanks!
A.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Don't know where yours is but on my 94 it's between the light and juction block mounted on the firewall.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
Don't know where yours is but on my 94 it's between the light and juction block mounted on the firewall.

Same place on my 1986. Just follow the positive wire back from the light. Negative wire connects to the firewall.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

I don't suppose anyone has a link to a pic or a part, etc? I did trace the wire on my 95 and came up with nothing. I guess it could be aftermarket and wired differently. It's nice to be down to this as the last issue with this truck.

Thanks for the help nonetheless.
A.

Quick Reply: Under Hood Light Fuse