Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

What controls the courtesy lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about
Default What controls the courtesy lights?

Does the computer control the courtesy lights to come on when a door opens or is it all just mechanicly controled by the switches?
I ask because if I can find where the wire from the lift glass switch is supposed to go I would like to just cut it and run a new wire as to bypass the short that is either in the cab under the carpet, or behind the dash.
I did some searches and could not find a good diagram for the courtesy lights.
I think it would just be easier to cut it where it ends up and not have to remove all of my seats and center console to find the problem, ya know?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i doubt the computer runs it my uncle put one of those boot leg switches i don't know what happen to the original but i disconnected and removed the switch i turn mines on manually when i need em .

Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well mine is the obdII if that matters, and if it (the computer) doesn't controll it then I would love to know where all of the wires for the switches join up so I can cut it there.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:12 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I think the wires run on top of the truck but id make sure before id rip the top apart

whats wrong with it any ways ?

Edit: this should answer the location question

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...16&grouptype=B

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-22-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 AM
BF Veteran

None of the lights (footwell, dome) turn off. Swartlkk has said that the wire to one of the switches has grounded out. So when I checked the wires to them with a DMM I found that the one for the back glass has no power. So I assume that that one is the problem child.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
BF Guru

ahh i see well the link i provided should help you i hope

Edit: Number 4 is the problem its located by the glass by the tailgate

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 AM
BF Veteran

Ahh ok thanks I'll check it out.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 AM
BF Guru

hope it works out =P

Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran

Ok so a couple of issues on this diagram. 1. I have the center console so the wires run a little different, but I'm sure that isn't an issue. 2. It dosn't really show where the wires run to get to the A pillar. 3. It dosn't really say what is just above the 3 on the pic. I'm sure it's the dome override but I'm not sure.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
BF Guru

Number 3 its the harness its self i thought number 4 was the problem ?

you said the rear switch grounded out ?

Quick Reply: What controls the courtesy lights?