Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Where did you put your HID ballasts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
kikkegek is on a distinguished road
Default Where did you put your HID ballasts?

Where do you guys put the HID Ballast. I tried installing mine 2nite, but I could not find a suitablespot for it?

pictures please of a succesfull installation in a 2001 Blazer?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kikkegek
Where do you guys put the HID Ballast. I tried installing mine 2nite, but I could not find a suitablespot for it?

pictures please of a succesfull installation in a 2001 Blazer?
Please limit your questions to one thread at a time. Double posting is against forum rules. I have moved your post and the replies that it has received into a new thread.

As far as locations go to mount the ballasts, you can find room in back of the radiator core support as well as possibly in the front below the lights. You may have to remove some things to gain access to these areas, but it is do-able.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
JST4SHO is an unknown quantity at this point

I put mine to left or right of the corner lights, there is a rubber sheild there, and some surface area of the support to mount the ballasts too.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

I mount my ballasts on the inside fender

Old 03-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Please limit your questions to one thread at a time. Double posting is against forum rules. I have moved your post and the replies that it has received into a new thread.

As far as locations go to mount the ballasts, you can find room in back of the radiator core support as well as possibly in the front below the lights. You may have to remove some things to gain access to these areas, but it is do-able.
Sorry, you are completely right and I am very sorry.

Originally Posted by JST4SHO
I put mine to left or right of the corner lights, there is a rubber sheild there, and some surface area of the support to mount the ballasts too.
do you have any pictures of that mount? It would really help me.

Originally Posted by radiokid
I mount my ballasts on the inside fender
I saw indeed there was some space in there, but it is not easy to access. How did you do it? do you have any pictures of it?

Somebody over at the chevroletforum.com installed it near the radiator.
link to topic

would that be safe and dry enough for an installation?

Untill now I did not remove the grill for installation, but now I see it makes the install a lot easier. Maybe I'll try again 2nite.

I'l make some pictuers and share them here, so others might benefit from them too.
thanks sofar guys! really love this forum.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-09-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

i put mine on the core supports for the rad.
the ballasts I have are a perfect fit there, i dont have pics of where they are mounted, but there is enough room to mount them safely there

Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by taba5
i put mine on the core supports for the rad.
the ballasts I have are a perfect fit there, i dont have pics of where they are mounted, but there is enough room to mount them safely there
thanks for the help, but

can you please explain what the "core support" of the radiator are? I am Dutch and not familiar with that part. Where would I find these core supprots and what do they look like?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

Ill use the left side headlight for an example.(standing in front looking at the truck directly)

When you remove the headlight assembly, in that "hole" to your immediate right will be the core support for the radiator, then directly behind it will be a metal panel connected to the rest of the nose of the truck, there should be a couple bolts coming through it, they are grounds. and this panel is tack welded to the radiator core I beleive, to your left will be the point of your fender.

Im referencing a 97 Bravada so my headlight design is different then yours, however the concept for the trucks is the same.

depending on the size of your ballasts for HID's you can mount along the right side of that "hole" which is the support.

I did notice though with my HID kit, I had long enough wiring to mount wherever and the core support was NOT my only option... I did make it my only option because I was lazy, and DID NOT feel like removing other parts to put the ballasts in dedicated spots for the sake if a ballast went it wouldnt be hard for me to replace it.

hope this helps out

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out oktain's build thread in the Builds section. He has pictures of where he mounted his.

The radiator is the big finned thing in the center of the grill on the front of the truck. It is what cools the engine coolant. The radiator core support is the panel that the radiator, headlights, grill, and fenders all mount to.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Here's where I put mine, behind the signal lights.

I had 2 balasts on each side originally, but have since removed 2 (high beams and low beams, I took the high beams out because I lost my Daytime Running Lights)

Driver's side:

Passenger side with grille in place

Quick Reply: Where did you put your HID ballasts?