Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

4x4 lifted Astro van??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough
Default 4x4 lifted Astro van??

Was thinking today driving down the road and a GMC Astro van drove by,
I know that they were avail. in AWD, But would it be possible to remove the AWD front axle and transfer case and put a standard 233 or 236 transfer case, then body lift it, tweek the torsion bars and some 33" B.F.G. mud terrans. Like a Mini van 4x4.. possibly some one with photoshop skills could make this happen, but is the chassis any thing like a Blazer.... Just a thought,
Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
Was thinking today driving down the road and a GMC Astro van drove by,
I know that they were avail. in AWD, But would it be possible to remove the AWD front axle and transfer case and put a standard 233 or 236 transfer case, then body lift it, tweek the torsion bars and some 33" B.F.G. mud terrans. Like a Mini van 4x4.. possibly some one with photoshop skills could make this happen, but is the chassis any thing like a Blazer.... Just a thought,
Thanks,
Robert
When I was in High School, eBay had this ridiculous Astro Van on 38's or larger and it had a flame job and looked completely ridic.... so it has been done before...

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I always see a few at the Woodward Dream Cruise every year, so people do it (the lifting anyway) I don't know about swapping the T-cases.

Body Lift + Rear Shackles

4" Lift w/shackles, torsion keys, HD leafs

Photos compliments of
http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_liftkits.html

Last edited by Red 96'; 01-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

You should be able to swap out the T-cases... but the issue would either be wiring up the electronic control or cutting a hole and conecting the shift linkage for the manual shift T-case...

The other issue with the shifter is that you're pretty much sitting on the engine in an Astro, so you'd need the T-case out of a Blazer with the applicable electronics...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read a whole build article on this at another forum, his brother-n-law was a GM Mechanic and wired up the electronics in his garage so he could run the blazer transfer case. The guy is on here, his user name is T.Low. Shot him a PM, his van is killer, has a pop up top too.

Attached Thumbnails 4x4 lifted Astro van??-100_2973.jpg  

Last edited by Blazn1; 01-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You wouldn't need to change anything in the front end. Just swap out TC's using a 233 and wire it up. No need to worry about the vacuum crap.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Also the TCCM you think, what about the PCM, and wire harness???
this may be my next project, Imagin some surf boards on top of those vans, looking pretty cool....
Robert

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I think that it would make a very cool and user friendly beach rig. Load all your gear with plenty of space inside and just think of the size of the roof rack you could put on it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
I think that it would make a very cool and user friendly beach rig. Load all your gear with plenty of space inside and just think of the size of the roof rack you could put on it.
Roof rack would be pointless on a lifted Safari though... my buddy has a stock one and damn near needs a cherry picker to get to the roof...

Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Guy in my city has one with a V8 and must have 10inches lift and 35s, its so badass. Ill get a pic if I see it again and ask if I get a chance whats done to it.

Quick Reply: 4x4 lifted Astro van??