Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough
Default Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!

Alright i know a bunch of you ride your bikes cuz ive seen pics of your blazers with bike racks on them.

So what do you ride? (i.e. mountain, road, etc.)
How do you get it there? (pic of your rack)
And for you real enthusiasts out there how many bikes do you have? (if more than one what is your fav?)
How much is your bike(s) worth?

Alright ill go first!

- I ride EVERYTHING! (but i like this picture, i know its a bit slow but i had NO lead out and it was uphill into the wind)

Heres the racks
two on the roof, 4 on the rear

And now 2 on the roof and (well lots on the rear)

And as for bikes...
Me alone i have around 11.......and the girlfriend has 4 or 5 so were around 16 combined. (sad part is all of my 11 bikes have a retail value of about 4 times what i paid for the blazer originally, around 40g in retail)
and as for my fav bike, well, i dont have a single one, my road bike, mtn, and fixie are my top 3.

What do you got?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have a Trek 5200 CF Road Bike, with Ultegra components. I been cycling a little over a year and a half. I wanted a CF bike but did not want to buy new so I found my bike on ebay. I believe it is a 2001 bike. I ride most weekends around 33 miles. I also take spin class at the gym. I enjoy group rides and do not mind riding solo. I am not interested in racing. I have a 2 bike hitch rack I bought from Performance and also a INNO roof rack that attaches directly to the factory roof rack with no adapters needed (On my 2000 Jimmy) I can hold a pretty good pace. 18-21 mph depending on conditions.

Attached Thumbnails Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!-10-02-10_0750.jpg   Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!-11-25-09_1930.jpg   Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!-11-25-09_1933.jpg  

Last edited by mr.vls; 01-16-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Nice, thats a decent speed.
The girlfriend is racing for Trek Red truck next year so ill be out living in the mountains with her for the summer. I work at a shop but dont sell trek so not super familiar with the line (other than your bike was actually made by giant, as are about 90% of treks). But look forward to see the girlfriends new frame show up this week. madone 6.9 ssl....ahh the perks of being on a semi pro team......I couldnt keep up to her if i tried (but then again she blows away most of the guys that race here to though) 4th place nationals this year, at superweek in one race she took all 4 jerseys in pro cat 1/2 (red, yellow, white, amateur white) racing solo with no team mates, then went for the red jersey the rest of the tour, she didnt stay the entire tour but still had enough points to have the red jersey for the next 7 or so crits after she left. Did the MS bike tour this year together, on the way out we got there first and blew everyone away but a significant amount of time (i wish she was taller so i could get a better draft). The next day it said departure was 8, so we left at 8 but apparently people had been leaving since before 6...so was ABSOLUTLY WIKED, we passed over 170 people in the first 30 minutes and just flying past them. We still beat everyone back. haha.
But ill be training with her getting my *** handed to me as i attempt to keep up with her.
My road bike is a 2010 norco crr sl full sram red.
My "garage" of bikes is best to look at my fbook photo album (if it lets you)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...701&aid=198042

I like group rides and races and riding solo all together, this was my first year i started racing, managed to pick up a bronze at provincials this year so was stoked about that. We have some good charity and club rides that we do with a fair amount of people.
Muddy waters ride this year was fast, for the first hour our average speed was about 50-60 kmh. (but there was 600 people and different groups for different speeds). At our shop we do spin classes on sundays and get a bunch of people out so its fun to see everyone through the winter and ride in a group that you cant get dropped in. haha. This was my first year road but have bean an avid cyclists for about the past, well, forever really. I try to log a few hundred km a week in the summer and usually not a probelm as training rides with the gf are usually about 60-100kmh, crits are about 15-20km and road races 80-120kmh on average..tried cross racing this year and got my *** handed to me......
as for racks im Thule all the way!

Last edited by streblo; 01-16-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I don't ride near as often as I used to. My main bike is a Trek 4300 but I also have a POS Schwinn from when I was a lot younger.

I used to go out on some light trails with friends a lot and either put my bike inside my Blazer or in the back of my buddy's truck. Since then, I've pieced together a Yakima parts from craigslist and just bolted it straight into my roof. I've had it on for about 4months and only used it maybe 3 times. I really need to start riding again.

The main crossbars and towers are from an old yakima made for an explorer. It's set up to hold three bikes, two of the trays are fork mounted but I didn't like them much. I ended up getting a full length tray that grabs on to the down tube and it works very well.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM

fork mounted ones i see as more for just looks, they look better on small cars than a full carrier on the roof, i find them a pain. when i want to load the bike i want it on fast and on solid. Thats why i love my thule sidearms, bikes are on strapped and solid in under 10 seconds, i like it for my more expensive bikes as nothing touches the frame.

before i had the trays powdercoated black to match the blazer, also old frame on that bike i got a nicer one now and that frames retired to a winter beater

Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

My road bike is an '03 LeMond Nevada City with Ultegra and 105 components. The urban/knock-around is an '03 Schwinn Suburban. When I had a pick-up I used a Yakima 'Beddie Joe' rack in the bed, but with the Blazer I just put them in the back. The photo on the wall behind the LeMond is me from the 1988 Hotter'n Hell Hundred ride (recommended only for the insane) on a Peugeot Triathlon.

Attached Thumbnails Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!-0116112229.jpg   Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!-0116112230.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by streblo
fork mounted ones i see as more for just looks, they look better on small cars than a full carrier on the roof, i find them a pain. when i want to load the bike i want it on fast and on solid. Thats why i love my thule sidearms, bikes are on strapped and solid in under 10 seconds, i like it for my more expensive bikes as nothing touches the frame.

before i had the trays powdercoated black to match the blazer, also old frame on that bike i got a nicer one now and that frames retired to a winter beater
Yeah that looks a lot nicer than my yakim raptor. Mine has a clamp that you have to unscrew and then move the arm up to grab on. Being so close to the edge probably helps you a lot. Mine's centered (mostly for looks I guess) and even being as tall as I am, it can be difficult to reach that far across the top.

The fork mounts I have aren't even full trays either. It's like a 4" section the rear tire mounts on and both the front and rear mount can pivot... seems like an all around, poor design.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I ride urban. My bike rack is an old car bike rack that I took apart and now ratchet strap to my spare tire lol. Its too much weight for it tho so gonna have to change and get a hitch mount.

As for my bike. Its a KHS DJ05. Its Black with white forks and pedals. Pretty sweet, I've only had it since early fall.

Not to get off topic but is there a type of hub that makes a larger gear when pedaling harder/faster. Like having a gear but not the derailers and such. I mean I could go with a bigger sprocket, but the bigger I got there the harder it is to pedal at slower speeds.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i rock a stock Norco MTB. im not too hardcore, but do love hitting the nice trails we have along our river bank.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Yeah that looks a lot nicer than my yakim raptor. Mine has a clamp that you have to unscrew and then move the arm up to grab on. Being so close to the edge probably helps you a lot. Mine's centered (mostly for looks I guess) and even being as tall as I am, it can be difficult to reach that far across the top.

The fork mounts I have aren't even full trays either. It's like a 4" section the rear tire mounts on and both the front and rear mount can pivot... seems like an all around, poor design.
Yes i like having them out a bit further, i put wider bars on. You can put pretty much as wide of a bar on yakima or thule that you want. For instance if thules website says to put a 50" load bar on, you can put a 50 or anything larger. I put a 58 on so i could mount the trays on the outside of the feet. Also i wouldnt be able to fit 2 trays and the box all on 50" bars. Yakima and thule are pretty much the main 2 rack guys out there although thule is a bit ahead of yakima. Thule makes alot of factory racks for other companies (they also own case logic) they do the most fits for vehicles and the most testing (my box is speed rated for 240kmh, if only the blazer could go that fast). Yakima is good as well although one thing is that some of their products are not road legal in parts of europe. I saw a video once i cant find the link of a car doing a pylon course with thule and with yakima, and the yakima had way more sway than the thule rack did. The nice thing about the square bars with thule is stuff like you said where it is only mounted to one bar cannot pivot, but what the round bars have going for them is that the trays will always mount flush, where with square bars the two square might not be the same angle, although thule does a pretty good job on their 480 fit kits to bring them level with each other.

As for that rack they really are not making those anymore, most of the new stuff is all an entire tray design that gets rid of that problem, although i have still seen some of the two piece designs still. and ski carriers can still pivot, although when the skis are on they wouldnt. Its a price issue is what it really is. The trays i have run about $230 per tray cad

Originally Posted by zedartwo
I ride urban. My bike rack is an old car bike rack that I took apart and now ratchet strap to my spare tire lol. Its too much weight for it tho so gonna have to change and get a hitch mount.

As for my bike. Its a KHS DJ05. Its Black with white forks and pedals. Pretty sweet, I've only had it since early fall.

Not to get off topic but is there a type of hub that makes a larger gear when pedaling harder/faster. Like having a gear but not the derailers and such. I mean I could go with a bigger sprocket, but the bigger I got there the harder it is to pedal at slower speeds.
Nice, as for the hub i assume you want something that can change gear ratio without a derailleur.
There are 3 things out there.
1) shimano makes a coasting line, these are a 3 speed internal hub with a speed sensor in the front hub that will automatically shift gears for you based on speed. However this is not a dj application.
2) nuvinci makes a hub that is a cvt, so basically you have infinite gear ratios although you adjust this by a grip ship, again not a dj application.
3) truvative makes a crankset called the hammerschmidt, this basically has 2 internal gears in the crankset switched by a thumb shifter. This gives the single speed look with no derailleures but offers 2 gears. It is a bit pricey though.

Allow yourself a second to drool, heres my DJ rig

shonky inc frame, reynolds tubing, one of 50 ever made, only 11 frame only's produced and i got one of them
rock shox argyle 409 fork
affix hydraulic gyro stem (o ya, gyro for hydraulic brakes)
hayes 10th anniversary chrome discs
dirty dog rotors (look close, there women!)
gusset pygmy r crankset w/ ti spindle
atomlab pimplite rims
chris king 20mm front hub
khe geisha disc freecoaster rear hub
deity bar...
O ya, its the eye candy of the DJ world.
(but thats what happens when you work in a shop)

Last edited by streblo; 01-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Cyclists out there? - What do you ride and how do you get it there!