Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

An Eye Opener About Oil Filters!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road
Default An Eye Opener About Oil Filters!

So, I was perusing the sister forum, ChevyTruckHQ and I came upon a thread where someone spoke about having a Fram oil filter fail. So I conducted an internet search for "Fram oil filter failure" and came up with this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/n...ers-me-589979/

My first reaction is "holy crap" and my second reaction is "no, really HOLY CRAP". Now, to be honest, if you change your oil as frequently as me (<2500mi), then you need not worry because you are removing the oil before it really needs to be filtered. However, if you listen to your oil life computer, you might go 10K between changes. In any case, I am switching permanently to Napa Gold / WIX. I wanted to let y'all know so that you don't go an ruin your Blazer over a $10 disposable part.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Ya I've gone to strictly the Napa Gold (wix) filters a couple years ago.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Anyone ever cut a Delco filter open? How are they? That's all I use since the cheapest place in town is the dealer (go figure).

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

The thread that I linked to seemed to say that ACDelco filters were a close second to FRAM for worst failure rate.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

This is an eyeopener... I'm gonna have to shop around for a place that sells a good make of filter.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFisher
So, I was perusing the sister forum, ChevyTruckHQ...
Uh, not really.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I remember in tech school a rep from wix filters came out and showed us the gut of all the major filters. I've always liked fram since I don't let my oil stay in that long but since my engine is now rebuilt, I may go with a k&n, or napa gold oil filter. Still thinking about changing over to amsoil but I've yet to heard from somebody who actually uses it.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigkhans
I remember in tech school a rep from wix filters came out and showed us the gut of all the major filters. I've always liked fram since I don't let my oil stay in that long but since my engine is now rebuilt, I may go with a k&n, or napa gold oil filter. Still thinking about changing over to amsoil but I've yet to heard from somebody who actually uses it.
That is so true. Everyone has a different story about the testimonials, and the science and what-have-you about amsoil, but when you go to ask where to get it or if they have used it... they scatter!!! I gave up on any hopes of ever using amsoil products years ago. I'm not paying shipping for oil, nor can I afford to travel to the four corners of the earth to find it. I would totally use it if they had it at the local Napa.

Oh, and I heard someone call TruckHQ the sister, that however, was apparently wrong.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I always use K&N and it seems to work pretty good.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

The owner of the machine shop that put my engine together sells amsoil but I don't know if he uses it himself. Just because he sells it doesn't constitute an endorsement. I don't asume, I research and ask questions and then decide what I'm going to do.

Quick Reply: An Eye Opener About Oil Filters!