Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Holding your new car Captive. PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holding your new car Captive. PLEASE READ

http://righttorepair.org/

Not so much with our S10's but newer cars are basically being held captive from you to fix them or have them fixed.
Car manufacturers are designing in new codes and special tools that they legally do not have to share with you or the INDY shops.

They are holding your new car captive. "Want it fixed, Gotta come back to us so we can Hose you."

Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This seems a bit extreme...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

While it may seem a bit extreme it is true. Manufacturers are slowly doing just this. Such as manufacturer specific codes and alot of information on how to fix certain things especially electrical components.
http://www.righttorepair.org/

Dealerships make most of their money on repairs not car sales.

EDit: sry didnt realize you already posted the link

Last edited by 99blaz; 02-25-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

And it doesn't even touch on the fact that Manufacturers are making it more labor intense to change out regular maintenace items so the consumer doesn't want to do it AND they can hammer you on the high Hourly rate ias compared to years ago.
Not to mention Designed to fail components designed in. Plastic Intake manifolds, Bushings in trani where Bearings used to be.
Rotating CV joints rotating 100% of the time where Hubs used to unlock at the Spindle ( 4WD vehicles).
The list goes on and on.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Having visions of TFisher.
(if you don't know, don't ask).

Old 02-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you worked in manufacturing or engineering design? Things are getting more complex because the regulations are driving them to be more complex. Sure there are ways to make many of the routine maintenance easier, but when it comes down to the final design, cost rules all. If it is cheaper to manufacture a vehicle that may have some quirks to repair it, then that is what is done. Bean counters rule the design from start to finish.

The engineers that design these vehicles do the best with what they are given. I am sure that many of you have looked at something and thought, "Why didn't they do it *this way* instead", but have you thought of what else *this way* might impact in terms of packaged design? Most cannot, in all honesty, answer yes to that question.

But to say that they are being designed this way on purpose with that purpose being to screw the consumer is just naive. Don't take that as a slap in the face because my use of the word is simply to state that you do not fully understand everything that goes into the design and implementation of a vehicle as complex as today's when making a statement such as that site exemplifies. Sure the tools are expensive, but they are available. I have not found one thing that I have not been able to do to affect repairs and/or general maintenance on even the newest of vehicles that my family, friends, and I own (up to and including the 2010 model year vehicles from a few different makes). It just takes knowing where to get the information that you need to complete the job.

And for the record, all vehicle diagnostic systems are created to a standard. While there are a few different standards in use, they are still made to a standard.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

I certainly understand that engineers and people that design vehicles and there components have guidelines to meet. But there is no denying that probably 50% of the time it could have been made simpler. But its the fact that this situation is most likely gonna get worse. When you need 5 different manufacture specific scan tools instead of just one to do everything. But like I said the biggest aspect of it is that they can hold information back from shops.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member
SPLjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

i am also seeing this when i got sent to nyc for 2010 training for subaru. in the new legacys they have removable front stub frame to drop the engine instead of lifting it out. many techs say its a pain which it is but it has to compensate for the new CVTs being put in.
also new turbo subarus have the turbo mounted to the bottom of the engine which requires special tools to work on but this was done to compensate for Turbo lag in previous years and cooler runnin temps.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Hmm... I'll weigh in on this later.

Regards,
Thomas

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

i agree with richard. in the words of ajbert. .. let me put on my tinfoil hat. hahaha. and epoc WIN on that post curtis. hahaha

Quick Reply: Holding your new car Captive. PLEASE READ