Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Belltech drop spindle issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belltech drop spindle issues

Greetings all,

I have a 2001 2dr 2wd 5sp s-10 Blazer that I've been wanting to drop for some time now. This weekend I figured while I was in the process of changing out the front hubs (SKF BR930497) I would go ahead and change out the stock spindles for a pair of Bell-Tech drop spindles (PN 2102) that I've had sitting around gathering dust. All went well.......... up to the point where I had the new spindles physically bolted in place. Then that is when the issues began rearing their ugly head!

After bolting the spindles up to the control arms they refused to rotate (left to right) WHAT THE....... Closer inspection revealed that the top of the (new) spindles (where the brake caliper bracket bolts to) was contacting the edge of the upper control arm. Ok NOT a huge problem (nothing a little grinding on the edge of the control arm wouldn't solve) Finally after performing numerous disassembly, grind, reassemble checks THAT issue was solved easily enough.

You would think that from this point on it would be a pretty straight forward bolt it all back up sort of deal right?.............NOPE! NOT TODAY!! The problem now is........how to re-attach the front hub to the spindle. So what's the problem, it's only three bolts right? Well yes and no.......before I go any further they ARE the correct hubs and they do bolt up to the STOCK spindles just fine. The problem is with the Bell-Tech spindles (specifically the TOP hub to spindle mounting hole) on the STOCK spindles the bolts pass through from the back side and thread INTO the hub assembly. On the Bell-Tech spindles the BOTTOM holes are the same as STOCK but the TOP hole is blind threaded from the INSIDE (or rotor side) So in other words the two bottom holes are just like STOCK but the top hole (although in the correct location and is the correct diameter and has the same bolt threading) is NOT accessible from the BACKSIDE of the spindle.

So what now? There is not enough room to drill the hole in the spindle all the way through without causing more problems than it'll solve. Drill out the THREADED hole in the top of the hub assembly and use a shorter bolt? I'm not sure if that is an option due to the limited distance between the hub mounting hole and the wheel/rotor flange (and drilling the flange large enough to pass a bolt THROUGH the flange could (POSSIBLY?) weaken the flange as well?

So I'm at a loss as to what direction to go to solve this issue. I can't believe I'm the ONLY one to run across this issue. So any Help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Gator

Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

You lost the instructions didnt you? You went the hard way thru the upper arm clearance. But dont forget brake clearance at full lock and full extention and compression. Now you prolly need to call Beltech and have them send you a couple of the SPECAL upper hub studs, I think its 3/8 on one side and 14mm on the other. Torque to spec. Careful with abs wire routing. Clean and lube your brake pins while youre down there Your truck will handle better and look like it is supposed to after youre done. NOW GET AFTER IT GATOR.

Last edited by LeWhite; 10-27-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belltech spindle issue resolved (I hope)

Hey LeWhite,

Thanks for your reply. Well I forgot to mention; when I received my spindles (from a vendor other than Belltech) there were no instructions or hardware kit included in the box. Why that didn't cause any reason for concern I don't remember. But then again I've built (or modified)a lot of vehicles without the benefit of written instructions. I did go to the Belltech website, found and downloaded the instructions. In the instructions I found the components that make up the hardware kit (that were SUPPOSED to be included with the spindles) I also was able to get a phone number to call Belltech directly. At first the conversation with Belltech was not very encouraging, they would be more than happy to send me a hardware kit.......for sixty (that's right 60) bucks. Are you kidding me?! Sixty bucks for 2 studs,2nuts, and 6 cotter pins?!! Yup!!! unless you can SEND US a copy of your invoice,.....and then "MAYBE we can give them to you for a little less". REALLY?!...."How much less"???....."well we can't tell you until we SEE your invoice" Again......REALLY??! Well I was lucky enough to find the invoice and I FAXED it to them, and then immediately called them back just to make sure they received it. At this point the bow swung around and the seas calmed. They got the fax and agreed to send me a complete hardware kit........under warranty (no charge) and I should have it in 3-5 days. Ok, so I'm a little happier now. Personally I think they could have handled the whole matter better in that I shouldn't have had to jump through hoops for 3-4 bucks worth of parts that SOMEBODY forgot to put in the box BEFORE they shipped it out. But in the end they did MAKE IT RIGHT soooo it's all good!!!

As for "taking the hard way" through the control arm clearance issue,.........when comparing the photos in to the instructions to what I ground off it's a perfect match. So in a way I guess I followed the instructions (that I didn't have) to the letter. So at this point I would have to say "it's all good" (or it will be as soon as the parts arrive)

Sorry if this reply sounds angry or ungrateful (it's NOT meant to be). I have to admit if it weren't for your post I probably would have made the solution to the situation more involved and complicated then it had to be trying to resolve it. So with all sincerity THANK YOU!!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Sixty bux?
When you get some one on the phone (from any company) like that basically they just needs theyre sack sucked and youre the one that needs theyre precious parts. So whine wimper and tell them how important they must be to hold such a high position in one of the best companys today. And without his help you will have to take the bus to work because your bicycle is on a flat. Remind him that after he helps you that you will spread the word of how big hearted a person he is.

After the conversation dont forget that YOU have a monitor keyboard and web connection that can cause way more dammaging distruction to his reputation then sixty or even six hundred dollars.

Glad to be of service and good luck!

NOW GET AFTER IT GATOR

Last edited by LeWhite; 11-01-2013 at 12:53 AM.