New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New from BC

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM
rgrosser is on a distinguished road
Default New from BC

Hi All,

New to this forum and the GMC world.

Used to have a 2004 TJ that I had quite built up. Front and rear selectable lockers, 4:1 T-Case with 4:11 axle gearing, Armour everywhere, 1 Ton High Steer (Chev stuff), Ford 8.8 rear axle, Dana 44 front axle.

Anyways, just picked up a 2005 Jimmy 2 Door and want to make it a bit better for camping. Not planning to go as nuts as I did with my Jeep (we'll see how that works out).

Eventually going to ask you GM experts about lift options, known issues with these trucks, best way to build up the IFS system so it can take a bit of a beating, ect.

I also have no idea about my rear axle. How strong is it? What's the factory gearing? What size tires can I run on stock driveline without worrying about blowing my axle shafts? Can I trust this electronic T-Case selector? What breaks the most on outings (with the jeeps it's U-Joints)? How bad is this IFS system off road (I'm not getting into a SAS on this)?

It will be a slow process. Not going to be a daily driver for long, and want to put the right stuff in it so I'm not re-doing work to upgrade.

What brands do you guys trust for lifts, armour, etc? I've always been fine with BDS as a mid-range brand, but open to opinions.

Thanks,

Russ

Last edited by rgrosser; 12-04-2016 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Spelling