New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Chevy Blazer : Boy Do I Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member
tommyis3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Chevy Blazer : Boy Do I Need help!

Hello to everyone, hope someone can help me out, I just moved to the USA from the UK so i`m completely new to the Chevy brand, I recently purchased a Chevy Blazer, 2002, 4 door, 80k miles, I have noticed a rumbling sound coming from the front end of the car, I think its coming from the drivers side, I have done a little bit of internet r-search and it sounds like the front hub bearing assembly.
I took the car into a garage today and they wanted $700 to replace one side , the local auto parts store wants $185 per side for a DIY job, and I have found an internet site that does both sides for $149 for an S10 Blazer, I am confident thatI can do the job myself, but what I dont know is what is the differance between a Blazer and an S10 Blazer, how doI know which car I have?

Any help / tips on the front hub assembly appreciated.

Atatched is an image of the Blazer that I own

[IMG]local://upfiles/8107/BB680AA31FE94FACAF40938B556FE867.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: New to Chevy Blazer : Boy Do I Need help!

welcome to the site from across the pond! Well, the s10 blazer moniker was dropped in 1997. it is officially a blazer now!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!!
We've got a howto in the DIY section on the replacement of the front wheel bearing that should detail it very well. One thing is for sure, you pay for quality bearings.

Does the noise change when you turn right? or left?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

mumbles timken under my breath

Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, thanks for clearing up the S10 Blazer issue, I have found the how to giude for replacing the hub bearing looks an esay enough job, just one question, when replacing the cv axle nut can you just tighten it, or do you need to torque it, if so does anyone know the recomended torque setting?

Yes the noise is less if I take right hand curve, alsoI think that Ican feel a slight vibration on the driver side, I have to move back to the UK for 6 months in a years time so I want to spend the least amount of money as possible, but also to be safe as I carry my kids about in the car.

hillbillyinOhio, So you wouldnt recomend using the parts I found on the internet for $149 for a pair? Timken would be the best brand to go with then.

Just as a side note could someone tell me if I got a decent deal on the car, 2002 Blazer, no dings or rust, paint in really good nick, all good tires (tyres) this rumbling is the only fault I can find, 75k miles, paid $6700.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

2 or 4wd??

Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

EXCELLENT condition 4WD as yours in my area (zip code 17545) retails for 10K Private party value in GOOD condition is 7800. FAIR 7000. This was including power everything, CD, but no sunroof or anything fancy. (KBB.com)

In your zip code, same options, it books for 8800 in excellent, 8200 good, 7300 fair (Private party). Retail is 10,500.

Same is true for 2WD, but I think 4WD is more valuable and you can get more out of it when you sell it with 4-wheel. So if you spend between $600 and $1500 to fix the rumbling then you got a decent price. Obviously the less you spend, the better the deal. If you have to spend $2100 to get it fixed, then you basically got the discounted price for having mechanical issues. I don't think it will be NEAR that much to get it repaired, especially if you plan on doing the work yourself.

Good luck and WELCOME![sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Beginning Member

hillbillyinOhio: Its a 4wd.

TripleBlackBlazer:I guess thatI couldnt call the car mint condition, but I think I could go with good, so seems like I got it for a decent price, even if I had to take it to the garage to get the repair done, but Ithink that I am going to do it myself though.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator

first item on page

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...chevy/s10.html

but i think these are the same. I will ask my buddy who doest qc for timken tomorrow!

ebay clicky

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard, Mick! Gee, your Blazer looks kind of familiar, except mine is 2 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: New to Chevy Blazer : Boy Do I Need help!