New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Forum and to Blazers (Jimmy in my case) ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:57 AM
Beginning Member
Jimmy99 is on a distinguished road
Default New to Forum and to Blazers (Jimmy in my case) ;-)

I and my wife are super excited to own our 3rd 4x4 since we got married 13 years ago. What's even more exciting is that this 3rd one is a highly optioned '99 Jimmy 4 dr. SLT with a current engine replacement that runs good and doesn't smoke or knock and very clean exterior and interior. I'm one of those people that just wants a good clean body/paint and interior because I can fix everything else especially if it's just minor and this thing is really shiny and clean with the highest optioned trim package I think.

So, I haven't got to check the vehicle out too closely since it was a very quick sale at a very reasonable price but we're already driving it daily (only local till its checked out closely) but the things I've noticed it needs are not serious issues. I think it needs the typical idler arm for steering play, it has an annoying rattle on the left front area when going over bumps, it has a pretty loud exhaust due to a leak or leaks somewhere. It has no info showing in the upper (headliner) console. It has a gas gauge that is super erratic and it seems to need front brakes because of a constant squeak when the brakes aren't applied (squeaker/indicator I presume) and last but not least needs front tires soon. Other than that, it runs and drives great including all 4x4 functionality.

Last edited by Jimmy99; 01-17-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: removed technical question
Old 01-17-2017, 08:07 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum! As with any aged vehicle, they take a little TLC to keep in tip-top shape, but if well taken care of, they S series are very reliable daily drivers.

Originally Posted by Jimmy99
I think it needs the typical idler arm for steering play

Very possible, and VERY common on the 4x4 line. I’ve put 3 on my 04, but the situation doesn’t get any better when you put larger tires on it and use the 4x4 often like myself :P

it has an annoying rattle on the left front area when going over bumps

I’ve read about an issue with hood hinges rattling, although I’ve never experienced it myself. Apparently there’s a service bulletin about it from GM and it's a quick and easy fix; may need to do a quick search on the forum for that one and you should bring up plenty of results.

it has a pretty loud exhaust due to a leak or leaks somewhere

Start by pinpointing where it’s roughly coming from. Under the hood? Probably a manifold gasket. Under the center of the truck roughly? Probably the flange joint that connects the rear of the CAT piping to the start of the rear exhaust piping. Towards the rear under the vehicle? Could be a rusted out muffler.

It has no info showing in the upper (headliner) console

This could be as simple as a fuse popped, but it’s very possible the display itself is bad, although from what I’ve seen that is rare. But anything is possible. Should be able to grab one for cheap from a junk yard though as they’re pretty common. I’d check fuses first though.

It has a gas gauge that is super erratic

Could be one of two things. I've heard of bad grounds in the fuel pump harness under the vehicle causing this. But more than likely, over time the level reader on the side of the fuel pump in the tank wares the metal “teeth” down and starts making sporadic contact on the fuel sender unit, which makes the gauge jump around. I’ve seen them go YEARS like this with no other issues. My 04 did it when I got it, 2 months later the fuel pump went out… But, no telling how old the pump was and how long it had been doing it before I got it :P Only way to fix it is to replace the level sending unit on the pump, and at that point you might as well replace the pump, because it requires pulling the pump out to replace…

and it seems to need front brakes because of a constant squeak when the brakes aren't applied (squeaker/indicator I presume)

That’s any easy fix But I’d check first by pulling the front tires off and just inspecting them. Could just be a noisy set of brake pads on it :P

needs front tires soon

That could very well be due to the idler arm being sloppy. I would get the idler arm replaced before putting new tires on it

Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks so much for the welcome and all the info...much appreciated!

Yeah, I agree, if taken care of they are a great daily driver. This particular one couldn't have come at a better time since we are experiencing "not normal for this area" snow and ice. My 2 Camrys are great cars but don't get around like the Jimmy in snow!

I was able to check out a few things yesterday and found the idler arm is loose and possibly more but will start with that as I know that's the most typical issue with Chevy trucks, vans and Blazers.

The exhaust does I think have a very slight manifold or collector gasket leak only when cold but found that the muffler is just worn out inside (no external leaks) so safety for the family wise, its fine and will go down to the bottom of my list for fixing because its not THAT bad.

Front brakes are down to the squeakers but not rotor damage or vibration so I'll take care of that very soon.

I didn't get time to check the rattle but did find that the belt tensioner pulley is making noise which is an easy fix and not too pricey. That's a rattle noise but not the "over bumps" one obviously.

Didn't have much time to check out everything but at least I have a little more knowledge now about what to fix first.

I'm super excited to have this Jimmy and will take GREAT care of it. I forgot to mention that I've had the pleasure of experiencing S series trucks and a Jimmy in my family previously as my Dad owned possibly the first S-10 Blazer to ever be tastefully lowered and customized back in '83 I think. He also had a beautiful Black early '90s S10 extended cab 2wd pickup (also tastefully customized) and finally he also had a '94 Jimmy 4x4 that was, you guessed it, tastefully customized. xD I'll have to find pics and share them of mine and his as soon as I can and share them with you guys.

I eventually want to lift mine (a little) and put nice rims and tires on it but its not a priority yet and I already have a project truck that I never get to work on as it is.

I would also love to install an LS motor in the Jimmy but that's just dreaming and probably won't happen. Besides, the engine that's in it now is perfectly fine and has a lot of life left in it.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum...awesome place to hang out. I had the hinge noise on both of my 05's...it sounded like a clunk from behind the dash , around where the speakers are....I know I found the TSB on this site and I believe it said to use lock washers....or the equivalent overpriced GM version ....I just tightened mine down and will use locks if it ever comes back.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the welcome and I'll definitely check that out with the hinge situation as soon as I get some spare time.

I will also start a build thread as soon as I start building. xD I've been enjoying looking through many of the member's build threads and learning a ton.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Starting Member
cdtek101 is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard all the way from Las Vegas, NV