2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Raw fuel coming out of muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Munkyfunk is on a distinguished road
Default Raw fuel coming out of muffler

Hi, I have a 97 Blazer with a 4.3. OK so I was driving down the road when suddenly white smoke started coming out my exhaust and the truck started sputtering, then finally just died. I could never get it to start again and ended up having someone tow me home. Once I got it home I managed to get it to crank a couple times but when I did it would sputter and knock and bellow white smoke from the exhaust and had a very strong smell of gas. When I would press on the accelerator it would die. Since then, I've changed the o2 sensors, the plugs, the distributor cap, the map sensor, the mass air, the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump, and the fuel filter. Nothing I have done has had any positive effect on it and I actually think it's made it worst as now it won't even start. I even checked to make sure there wasn't any water in the oil to make sure I didn't have a blown head gasket. No fluids are leaking out anywhere except raw fuel is pouring from the muffler, and as I stated before it won't even start. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with this thing?

Last edited by Munkyfunk; 01-23-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to add things I've changed
Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I do think you have a blown head gasket

Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Triggerman is on a distinguished road

+1 to what newguy thinks, blown head gasket.

TM

Old 01-23-2017, 11:32 AM

Y'all think so? Even though there's no water in the oil? I read that that is what white smoke coming from the muffler meant but I was really hoping it could also mean something else. Oh well, you know the old saying, "you can wish in one hand and s#!,t in the other"lol...

Old 01-23-2017, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Have you checked for a spark at all

Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM

Yup. I checked for a spark. Had spark.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 PM
kurfbird is on a distinguished road

How about a compression test.

Three things for a car to run Air Fuel and Ignition all in the proper amounts. Start over trouble shooting

Is the spark Blue or Yellow. Ignition
Fuel Pressure test and check the spider
Air Compression test.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:07 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Head gasket or cracked head. White smoke is coolant. Pull spark plugs and see which one(s) are wet with coolant (coolant doesn't evaporate like gasoline when you blow on it). Crank with plugs out to see which cylinders have liquid in them. Don't forget to disconnect power connector to the coil. Good luck

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-26-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:00 PM
Azwhiteguy is on a distinguished road
Default Raw fuel coming out of muffler

Check your spider injector or your fuel pressure regulator. I just changed mine and now it's doing the same exact thing. Puking fuel from exhaust like alot. Altho I thought it was because my airintake sensors weren't on my truck the three days I have been driving it before it died and no start puking raw fuel when cranking

Old 11-23-2023, 04:51 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Before pulling the heads verify that all plugs are firing. If one isn't, the fuel will get pushed out into the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Raw fuel coming out of muffler