Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Looking to Lift - Can I increase my tire size?!?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to Lift - Can I increase my tire size?!?

Hey everybody! Love this site and love reading all the posts...

here's my question... i'm looking to put a 2 inch body lift on my 2000 Blazer LS (2 dr 4wd)...
Will I be able to increase the size of my tires with this lift?!?

Just wondering!!

thanks!

Matty Kling

Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Looking to Lift - Can I increase my tire size?!?

Yes... you can go to 31x10.5's. If you keep the stock rims, crank your t-bars up an inch and get lift shackles for the rear, you can go to 32x11.50's (may need a small amount of trimming).

Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 PM

Thanks! So I could get a 31" tire on there wth a 2 inch lift? What would be stock as far as the tires go with this Blazer?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:53 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

You can find what your stock tires were by looking at the lable on your drivers side door.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

You can find what your stock tires were by looking at the lable on your drivers side door.

Yeah - I figured that one..... BUt it says 235/70 R15.... I don't know how this translates into the actual outside tire measurements.... Is this a 30"? 31"? How can you tell?

Basically I want to increase my ground clearance a little bit...

Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 PM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

stock size tires are about 27-28in tall. and bout 9in wide

jimmyboy

Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 AM
swearingsailor6 is an unknown quantity at this point

after looking at tires online for the last few days, I believe that the origonal tire sizes, 235/75 15 is 28.8 inches in diameter, and the 235/70 15 is 28 inches.you can go online and do a search for a tire diameter calculator, and you can type in your deminsions and it will spit out the size.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:16 PM
bfever is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother-in-law (97 blazer) put 30 9.50 with no lift on stock rims with no problem. He also tried 31 10.50 but hadsome rub on the frame. He cranked up the torsion bars (not ideal for the ride). With a 2" lift everything fit fine. Body lift is the way to go. Suspension lifts mess with drive angles and don't gain you any ground clearance. Body lift allows for larger tires and that is how you gain ground clearance. I am adding a 2" lift to my 04 blazer and am planning on 31 10.50. If you go to www.bridgestone-firestone.com and select a tire, you can view the specs. This tells you all of the dimensions for every size.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

you will not gain any ground clearance from a 2 inch body lift.Ground clearance is measured from the ground to the lowest point on the vehicle, in this case the frame and or transfer case. This has been discussed several times in these forums. Body lifts just lift the body off of the frame, leaving the frame at stock height and stock ground clearance. Sure you can fit 31's on a 2 inch body lifted truck, however you can fit 30's on there without the lift. This is the point where you ask yourself, is it really worth all that trouble for an extra 1/2" of clearance? But as for a body lift, they look awesome, but you WILL NOT gain any more than 1/2" of ground clearance and that is from tires alone. A 2 inch suspensions lift however will also accomodate 31's. It will technically give you 2 1/2" more ground clearance.

so, to make a long story short, a 2 inch body lift will only give you 1/2" more ground clearance than you can obtain with a good set of 30's and no lift. If you get it, install it yourself or you will be out more than a few hundred dollars for an install fee. For what it costs to have a body lift put on, you could go a couple hundred more and get a good suspension lift. And good suspension lifts come with brackets and spacers to correct drive angles.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:23 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought suspension lifts would look better, dosent the frame hang way out on a body lift?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to Lift - Can I increase my tire size?!?