Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!
View Poll Results: What do you use to get un-stuck?
Strap
74.88%
Chain
13.29%
Winch / Come-Along
11.84%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Strap or Chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 AM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Strap or Chain

Straps of course. I don't think that anyone is going to vote a chain over a strap. Chains are heavy bulky and rust, and thats not including the safety risk you take when using them. I just bought a new set of procomp straps for helping people out down here when they get stuck on the beach, and also for this winter when I move to NY. SNOW BABY!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

strap, i've seen what a snaped chain can do, even a strap with a metal hook can do some damage!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

My winch.

Wait, that wasn't one of the choices, was it?

Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Strap or a bungee strap works wonders

Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM
93fullsize is an unknown quantity at this point

chains i like them because they have a higher load rating

Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Only if you get the big *** chains...most chains people try to use are less than the 30,000 lb straps most people use...

Not to mention the elasticity of the strap absorbs the stress in the event of a break and drops to the ground, where as a chain goes off like a whip..

Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
93fullsize is an unknown quantity at this point

have not had problem whith chains braking the only time i have heard of a chain braking was when it was left in the back of a truck and had rust on it i just have all ways had bad luck whith straps ad whats up whith that cemerson guy ?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Strap for sure

Old 01-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Beginning Member
T.Low is an unknown quantity at this point

I carry both. For assisted recovery I would definately use the strap. For self recovery, I use a chain and a come-along (hand winch) as I don't have a (power) winch. Even most power winches I see these days are getting away from steel cable and going to synthetic line as well.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 93fullsize

chains i like them because they have a higher load rating
You need to do some serious research. You couldn't lift, let alone carry a chain that has the same load rating asa strap. I'll make this easy on you. FInd me a chain rated to 10,000 pounds? Shouldn't be too hard right? Now find one rated to 20,000 pounds, that's teh minimum rating of a 3" wide strap. How thick are the links, and how much does it weigh?

If your seroiusly stuck in teh mud your right a strap wont get you out. However that chain will snap long before the strap and the chain WILL go through someones window or hood. If your that stuck you need cable and a winch.

Quick Reply: Strap or Chain