Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bed liner rocker panels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Beginning Member
FIVEHORSE is on a distinguished road
Default Bed liner rocker panels...

Hey all,
I've searched and searched for threads about putting bed liner on rocker panels and I've seen a lot of threads that mention putting the bed liner on rocker panels, along with what products you used. They've been useful to figure out what i'm going to use. However, the one thing I haven't seen is how you guys prepped your body work for the product. I have a '00 4-door blazer 4x4. I plan on using the Rustoleum spray-on bedliner to do my rocker panels and maybe the bumpers. I have the run of the mill paint chipping (not quite rusted yet) at the bottom corners of my doors and figure the bedliner will help prevent that from rusting. My only question is this...what shold I do to prep the painted parts of the door before spraying on the liner? I imagine the liner will bond better if I scuff up the clear coat first, but I'm not a body/paint expert. Any suggestions? Any tips and pointers are gladly welcomed. Thank you!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Tape off your lines, mask up what you don't want paint on, scuff it up with a green 3m scuffing pad, clean it really well with acetone or similar cleaner, and spray it up! I've got pics in my build thread of the prep I did on mine.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Tape off your lines, mask up what you don't want paint on, scuff it up with a green 3m scuffing pad, clean it really well with acetone or similar cleaner, and spray it up! I've got pics in my build thread of the prep I did on mine.
Ditto. All the work is in the prep. Make sure you scuff up every single square inch that you plan to spray. I'll add that using air to blow off the dust before wiping down the surfaces with your choice of clean will help out.

The spraying is very simple and quick. Practice on something (cardboard works great) to get the distance down for your desired amount of "roughness", for lack of better word. My mind is a bit "off" at the moment due to that 1/2 beer or more I've consumed before replying to your post...lol

Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys! This will help me out a lot. I'll make sure to take lots of photos for everyone to see.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member
Sparky8542 is on a distinguished road

Any progress Fivehorse?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:16 AM
truc.karl is on a distinguished road

Bump. Any pics? Just curious here how it turned out. I'm planning of doing the same thing.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road

Fivehorse, I have the same Blazer, same paint issues and same plan in mind. I have also done some digging around and have been told by some body guys to make sure you sand/brush/wire wheel off the loose paint and sand the rust (if any) before you apply the product. Also to be sure the surface is as clean as possible and etch prime over any exposed metal areas. There is a great prep "walkthrough" : Forum Jump: Paint, Body & Interior/ Minor Rust Area Repair, I believe it was posted by Sticky. It's a prep for painting but it works for bedliner too. Aside from that, the guys above me in this thread already said anything else that I have heard. Good luck! Looking forward to some pics.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Beginning Member

No progress yet, unfortunately. It's been a crazy summer. I have all the materials on hand. all that's left to do now is to do it. all I know is, I have to get it done before winter hits and I start getting rust. I will update as soon as I get 'er done (hopefully soon).

Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

it turns out great... I did the bumpers on the jimmy with bed liner, still holding up absolutely perfectly... I can take photos with needed. but really, it just looks like flat black paint... but stronger.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain FIVEHORSE. Summer was short and buys. I haven't had time to do anything I wanted to do. I need to do the bedliner on my Blazer before winter. Now it's time for school, football and Boy Scouts. I hope you get a chance to get yours. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Bed liner rocker panels...