Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

74 blazer need help with cutting door posts

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
goofyjimmy is on a distinguished road
Default 74 blazer need help with cutting door posts

i am trying to finish the resto on my 74 blazer i have a new set of doors but need a template or some measurements on how and where to cut the door posts to make them work with my full convertible top when i purchased it there were no doors so i have nothing to go off of. i would appreciate if anyone can help.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

The factory doors from 73 - 75 were cut flush at the edges and capped with an aluminum plate. You may need to find someone with another fulltop and take a look at their doors to see what I am talking about.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM

they are pretty rare in my area i have only ever seen one other one and i cant track it down so i am hoping someone has a diagram for it

Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some pictures from my '74. I'll be cutting down the doors off of my '90 Suburban donor truck at some point.

I don't have the angles, etc, but you should get the gist of it from the pictures above.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM

thanks that will help alot

Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are two brackets in your doors that you will need to transfer over.

The first is welded to the door at the back. It is under the cover that hides the cut at the back of the door.

The other is on the window rear channel. The full door window channel bolts in above the cut line while the convertible doors have it bolt in lower in the door. I already had to replace the window rear channel on the driver side in the '74 and had to drill the spot welds from the original and from the donor, then weld the original bracket onto the donor channel.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM

the only problem is i dont have the original doors to take parts off of i have the caps for both ends but i didnt get any doors with the truck at all. i will have to fab so brackets. does anyone have a pic of where to cut the lower post above the door handle? do you cut it flush with the outside top of the window opening or the inside?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Here are some more pictures I had taken a while ago:

You really should try to find a set of full convertible doors. The brackets aren't going to be the easiest thing to make up from scratch. But if you really need to, here is a picture of the brackets removed: