Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door

When I found out the ZR-2s had a 19 gallon fuel tanks where my spare tire hangs; I jumped in head first. Double fuel is double range and the carrier looks kinda cool anyway.

I spent the afternoon cannibalizing a ZR2 at my Salvage yard. The heavy duty mounting screws were torqued down pretty good but no loc-tite :-)
The locking plate on the tailgate was just as easy. Now the tricky part:

Between the interior wall and the external one is what looks like a 1/4" threaded mounting plate. It was designed to take all that stress from the sheet metal and spread it across the quarter panel. The first bolt can put a hole near alignment, then the second and the rest automatically should all line up. I suspect a smaller/thinner version on the tailgate plate but I cannot get a good look in there yet.

The double wall design is great for strength but I doubt my 4 door has one [or both] of these mounting plates inside.
I unscrewed every nut and bolt in that area hoping to see something come loose or a "back door" open. Short of getting a saws-all in there, I don't think I can get it out. If I did - how would I re-install to my 4 door ?? There must be a trick or "work around" to secure the six mounting bolts to the quarter panel.

On one hand I gotta drill some holes and maybe create my own backing plate. This will prolly crush both body layers together and may not look so pretty. On the other hand, it may afford me a chance to mount it lower. so I can see over my 31s.

If anyone out there has swapped the swinging spare tire rack to a 4 door I would love to hear about it. Right now I am getting ready to go back to the salvage yard with a saws all for the plate.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

This should help. https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-48921/ I think I have details on how I did mine as well if not page 54 is where it starts in my build thread. I used plate and welded nuts to it for the inside and I have a 40" tire hanging off mine without issue. You won't be able to mount it any lower on the body side tho because of where it sits around the tail light.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Starting Member

Rexmburns

Thanks much. This DYI thread is exactly what I wanted. I'm only on page 3 and will prolly read all night! (or at least page 54 for your build.)

Now, if I can just get my glass lift back open. I pushed a couple of tires in too tight when I closed the tailgate. Window clicked shut just as always but now it's like a Chinese puzzle lol ........

Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

If you want to read the part in my build thread click on the link in my Sig. I wasn't referring to page 54 in the link I posted for you.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
If you want to read the part in my build thread click on the link in my Sig. I wasn't referring to page 54 in the link I posted for you.
OK - now I got it. Good reading! I got a great deal on the parts I need - $15

Attached Thumbnails Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door-img_0122-small.jpg   Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door-img_0127-small.jpg   Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door-img_0124-small.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you need help getting the window open check this link. You may have put too much stress on the actuator to get it to move under its own power. You may need to give it some assistance. Or possibly remove the stuff in the back that put the load on the tailgate then try to use the button.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Starting Member

Thogert

Thank you. Yeah, I think you are right. I removed the two tires (through the back seat) and moved everything else that was touching it away from the TG too. I can hear the actuator humming when I push the button but no "click." I even did it while pushing steady on the TG like I was trying to make sure it was shut.

The link you put in looks like the answer. The step by step approach is well presented and full of pics too. If I somehow broke the "Blue Collar" - I am fortunate to have a salvage yard full of them. On the bright side; I gotta go in there anyway to install the locking plate when I finish the "swinging spare mod" :-)

Of all the Forums I have joined and participated on in the last 20+ years - I think I am enjoying the BF community the most so far.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear it man.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Starting Member

I'm a little held back by the lock on the spare. I have searched the net and the closest thing to it is "Wolf Security Spare Tire Lock" made for a host of brands including GM. They match the ignition/door keys. Apparently it is sold only on eBay and the seller offers no customer service for removal. This thing spins freely on an existing lug nut apparently. If I had a key to it I would definitely keep it. Anybody know about these things?

Attached Thumbnails Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door-img_0124-small.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

hammer it off... you only need two studs to hold that spare on there anyway :P

I'd try to drill the lock, or take a dremel to it and try to split it lengthwise

Quick Reply: Advice please - ZR-2 Spare carrier to 96 4 door