Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bed Floor Panel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bed Floor Panel Replacement

Do these tanks need to be inspected yearly and pressure test every five years?...I'm also into SCUBA and for that exact reason have never purchased my own tanks.
How much gas do you use, for lack of a better constraint, per foot or whatever of welding. Should a tank last 8-10 hrs? More/less? Trying to figure if its worthwhile to leas one if I might be moving again in about 2 mos.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I never really looked at how much gas I have been using. I just fill it up when the pressure drops off. It is $25 to fill it. I remember reading that the cost to fill a bottle of C25 was less over all than buying flux-core wire in terms of $$/foot welded, but I cannot find that info now...

As far as pressure testing, etc. I paid for the tank so I did not have to pay a yearly lease on it. Whenever I take it in to get filled, I get a different tank which is already filled. No worries about that...

Here is another quote I found which is of interest to your project:
note that after flux core welding auto body panels it is necessary to thoroughly clean the welds before grinding to remove any contaminants that may adversely affect adhesion of body filler and/or primer. Grinding the flux-core weld without thorough cleaning has the tendency to "smear" the contaminants into surrounding metal, compounding paint and filler adhesion problems

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

[blockquote]quote:

note that after flux core welding auto body panels it is necessary to thoroughly clean the welds before grinding to remove any contaminants that may adversely affect adhesion of body filler and/or primer. Grinding the flux-core weld without thorough cleaning has the tendency to "smear" the contaminants into surrounding metal, compounding paint and filler adhesion problems[/blockquote]
That in itself makes the case for solid core wire. Do you think the weld through primer will have problem on the tailpan? Obviously i've already ground the welds. Wonder how to ameliorate the situation without starting over.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry about it there.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM

Cost? The guys around here want $155.00 for an 80 CFU tank.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

IIRC, I paid $90 for a full tank of C25 initially. $155 seems quite high to me. Also, I think it was going to be something like $20/year to lease a larger tank.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Oh well. When did you get that tank?? Even the online places I looked at Weldingsupply.com...etc. were all around 150. Called around must be the area. So I got one. Smallest I could get was .024"

What should I set the regulator to? The instruciton manual says from 30-45 cfh. The guy at the welding supply shop says 20-22cfh. I've found anywhere between 20 and 25 cfh on the web. I will be inside as the golf course will let me use their shop.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

I bought all of my stuff well over a year ago now.

0.023 wire is what came with my welder. Use whatever the smallest wire is that you can buy.

As far as the regulator setting, play with it between what the book says and what you have heard recommended. You will know by the sound if you are pushing enough gas.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Looks good so far post up more pics when you can

Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanx. Probably tied up all weekend unless the weather cooperates and rains.

Starting to think about paint schemes.

Quick Reply: Bed Floor Panel Replacement