Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bolts for Gas Tank Skid Plate

Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tibby
Aj, I'm not so sure mine has 9 bolt holes. Maybe the 2000 plate is different from the 95-97 plates. Mine looks like it may take 5 at the most. But I'm in a different city right now, so I can't check to confirm that. When I go home to put it on in 2 weeks, I'll know how many then lol.
If yours only has five bolts then I'd buy just one bolt to see if they are the same size, unless returns are pretty easy. If GM changed the design of the cover then they could have changed the bolt size.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I think you will only need two bolts. The 3 holes tword the front go under where the t-case skid plate bolts to. They overlap in the front. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thogert
I think you will only need two bolts. The 3 holes tword the front go under where the t-case skid plate bolts to. They overlap in the front. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.
How do the rear two bolts attached? what do they bolt to? threaded holes?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, just threaded holes in the body.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

Yeah, just threaded holes in the body.

I am going to have to crawl underneath tonight. Since mine didn't come with any plates what are the odds those holes are already threaded. I already have to drill and thread the holes for the oil pan and transfer case plates

Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Ya know, that is pretty weird. I picked up only 2 bolts and washers at the local hardware store and wanted to test them out before I bought more. Well hopefully I'm set with just 2 lol. One issue though. I don't have the transfer case plate. I haven't been able to find one. So do I buy bolts for the 3 holes that bolt there or...?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran

I think you will need the bolts for it then. Mine only has two on the back of the t-case plate. I'm uploading pics right now.

Edit: Here is the front of the tank skid plate and the rear of the t-case plate.< that is the front of the blazer.

Here is one of the bolts in the back. The big thing on top is the driveshaft.

Here is the last bolt. The thing on the right is the tire and you are facing to the rear of the blazer.

Last edited by Thogert; 03-29-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I think you will need the bolts for it then. Mine only has two on the back of the t-case plate. I'm uploading pics right now.
Are they the same bolt type? M8x1.25x20mm?

And I'll look at them later. Gotta head to class now.

Thanks though Thog!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
BF Veteran

I'm not sure what size they are. But I edited my last post with the pics. I'll see if I can get the bolts out and check them tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I was looking at the pics and trying to figure HOW they can be so different from what I've got, let alone going all the way up to the transfer case skid...

then it dawn on me!!! I have a two door and yours is a four door! So, Tibby, my help may have not helped you out at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolts for Gas Tank Skid Plate