Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Brush guards, do they work?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:01 PM
pio
Beginning Member
pio is on a distinguished road
Default Brush guards, do they work?

So i live in PA, kind of a rural area and i pass a LOT of deer who really did a number on my previous car. I am considering getting a brush/grille guard to help protect my front end, but ive never put one on so im not sure if they are anchored enough to prevent any deer related damage. Any experiences?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

They generally only add to the damage when encountering deer! They aren't really made for anything but looks. The problem is that if you hit a deer say in the passenger side the guard will be pushed in on the driver side as well damaging what otherwise may have been untouched. If you really want good solid protection look into a solid aftermarket steel bumper with some sort of hoops on it(there aren't many out there besides building one yourself though).

Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM
pio
Beginning Member

yeah ive read that making one yourself seems like the best option, but i would imagine that takes some know how. im sure its an art in and of itself. do you have any good info on the DIY stuff or possibly some links?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The only grill guard that may be able to stand up to deer is the Warn Trans4mer. I'm not even sure it is still being made but it is the only aftermarket guard that you can mount a winch on. I had one a few years back but ended up selling it when I put on a body lift.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 PM
pio
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
The only grill guard that may be able to stand up to deer is the Warn Trans4mer. I'm not even sure it is still being made but it is the only aftermarket guard that you can mount a winch on. I had one a few years back but ended up selling it when I put on a body lift.
sounds like i have something to go off of now at least, thank you. i mean, im going from an eclipse to a trailblazer so who knows what an impact would even do to me. western pa, the deer arent huge

Old 05-14-2015, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my grill guard is over 100lbs of tubing and 1/8th inch steal, i bet it would take down a deer in a second. but yeah these decorative pieces they sell for the front of vehicles are so flimsy most will bend if you just lean against them the wrong way

Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 PM
pio
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
my grill guard is over 100lbs of tubing and 1/8th inch steal, i bet it would take down a deer in a second. but yeah these decorative pieces they sell for the front of vehicles are so flimsy most will bend if you just lean against them the wrong way
were these homemade?

Old 05-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

If you want some good ideas just Google "s10 winch bumper"

Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM
pio
Beginning Member

Ill do that

Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

He doesn't have a S-series blazer though. Google trailblazer winch bumper instead lol. Looks like there's a few available, at least 1 anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brush guards, do they work?