Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Drivers Side Door Coming Lose. Is This Common On Blazers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Chesnuts5 is on a distinguished road
Default Drivers Side Door Coming Lose. Is This Common On Blazers?

Hey my 96' blazer's drivers side door has it hinges and pins coming loose and there is a lot of play within the door, not to mention the interior panel is coming lose and shakes when i drive. I went to a dealership and they said this was common among blazers. True or False???

Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

True. it's common among GM's in general. They use brass bushing in the hinges to buffer the hinge pins. They are designed to wear out so the hinge itself doesn't get worn. Problem is that GM has a history of designing their door to be bigger than what the hinges can deal with (I've had 3 75 Grand Prix's that had this problem chronically). The hinge pin sets can be picked up at Autozone for I think $6. It's not expensive but a bugger to fix because you have to remove the tensioner spring to get the hinge pin out. It's covered here extensively.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Chesnuts5 is on a distinguished road

do you think this is simply the pins or the door hinges as well?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

It depends on how long has the problem existed. If the bushing are just worn the hinges should be ok, if it has been like this for years it is possible that the holes in the hinges could be worn also. I have seen that happen a few times at the dealership I work at. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

First off, is it a 2 door or 4door. The 4 door, with smaller doors will have less of a chance of the hinge holes being worn. On my 95 the bushings were totally gone when I got it and the holes hadn't worn yet. But after a year and a half I already see one of the bushings starting to wear.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
skllcndyfrk1217 is on a distinguished road

Any blazer you see you can wiggle the door up and down. the pins aren't big enough and you should just weld.the doors shut, shave off old handles and pretend your in the general lee even though didn't come in orange.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

those door pins are so annoying . I changed 2 on my pops truck and they went bad again ......

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Changed mine last night. Royal pita when its just you and no one else.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to Paint, Body, & Interior*
Originally Posted by skllcndyfrk1217
Any blazer you see you can wiggle the door up and down. the pins aren't big enough and you should just weld.the doors shut, shave off old handles and pretend your in the general lee even though didn't come in orange.
Yeah... It's not a problem with the pins, but lack of maintenance (lubricating the hinges) that causes the bushings to wear out prematurely. Once they start to wear, it just compounds.

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
those door pins are so annoying . I changed 2 on my pops truck and they went bad again ......
If the holes are worn from lack of maintenance, you can replace them all you want and they'll wear out prematurely. Each hole needs to be round and properly aligned with the rest of the holes before the bushing gets pressed in. This is either accomplished by welding & re-reaming the hole or by replacing the hinges. On some that aren't too bad to start, I have successfully used JB weld to support behind the bushing and had it last, but once they are real bad (>1/32" worn out of round), that won't work.

Originally Posted by chris015
Changed mine last night. Royal pita when its just you and no one else.
A door dolly (or anything that can mimic one) helps greatly. Even a cherry picker will make this job MUCH easier.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced mine on my drivers side, it really is not that hard but you have to have a helper to balance the door on a jack. If they wear out too bad your door will start leaking if it rains hard. Mine did.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Door Coming Lose. Is This Common On Blazers?