Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Hood and grill replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:56 PM
V6pimp!! is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hood and grill replacement

I have some questions about how to put a hood on properly and the grille so I won't lose them.please offer any advice and suggest videos websites body shops or anything I can use because I have no prior experience in automotive or body shop but I have replaced most of my front end upnto the radiator to the front and back and panel. My beast is still mashing out!!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:31 AM
truc.karl is on a distinguished road

Search around in your area. I'm sure you can find a local body shop that can help you.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Grills are fairly straight forward. Check the parts catalog for your year and model if you're unsure how many clips and screws are involved, and where they are located.

IMO, hoods require some kind of black magic to get on straight. Even when I mark the hinge positions meticulously and carefully put things back exactly where they were, sometimes it's still not right. For a replacement hood, either a new one or a transplanted used one, I try to get it to where it will at least latch on the safety latch, then take it to a local body wizard and for a reasonable fee he performs whatever spell is necessary to get it straight.

The "trick" with hoods, I'm told, is getting the mounting bolts tight enough that the hood doesn't move on the hinge with normal opening and closing movements, but still loose enough that you can grab it and yank it and it will slide a little under the bolts. Then it's trial and error until you get it adjusted for a best fit. Open and close it a few times, to work out any tension in the hinge alignment, close it and see how it lines up. If it needs to move, open it slightly and apply pressure to move it in the correct direction. A few more open all the way, close almost all the way cycles to settle everything, and check again. Repeat until it's "good enough." At that point, fully tighten all the hinge bolts so it stays in place, and check alignment to make sure it didn't move as you tightened the bolts.

Last edited by Racer_X; 08-05-2016 at 10:25 AM.