Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Ideas for my roof and hood?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Ideas for my roof and hood?

My 2002 Indigo Blue extreme suffered a hailstorm years ago and the cheapo pain job repair is coming off. What can I do for it besides repaint indigo blue? Something not expensive.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:08 PM

I was thinking about a vinyl wrap or rattle can. What would go good with Indigo Blue?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Plasti-dip seems to be a popular covering. Plus if you dont like it you can just peel it off. I think a light gray goes good with the indigo blue.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM

Light gray, I like it. Maybe with some kind of gray accent on the side?
Any thoughts on fake carbon fiber? Looks like I could do the hood and roof for $32(!) as long as I didn't make a mistake.
Amazon.com: TCBunny® 4D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap Sticker Air Realease Bubble Free anti-wrinkle 120" x 60" 10FT x 5FT: Automotive Amazon.com: TCBunny® 4D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap Sticker Air Realease Bubble Free anti-wrinkle 120" x 60" 10FT x 5FT: Automotive

Last edited by puttster; 09-25-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 AM

Ok, I bought a roll of that carbon fiber and I'll try it out on the hood, which has patches of clear coat peeling off. I'm not much of a paint & body man though. Any suggestions, particularly on prep?

Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Sand off all loose clear coat and paint. Fill voids, sand some more.

3M? Acryl-Red Glazing Putty, 14.5 ounce tube, 05098 - Putty - Body Filler, Glaze and Related - Products

prime, then cover with vinyl

Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 AM

What grit for sanding? Then primer and then sand again? Or just lay the vinyl.
Also, I see some spraying water before laying the vinyl and some not, so I wonder what is the deal?

Last edited by puttster; 02-08-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 PM

If you lay the vinyl over loose paint, dirt, rust,..... it will also bubble up. If you lay it over scratches or voids, that will show through in the final results. When laying out, a spray of soapy water will allow you to move the piece around, then squeegee the water out from underneath.
Check around for basic body repair guides for proper prep work. I use 220 grit for a lot of my stuff, wet and dry. others may want to add their expertise.

Last edited by 10-78 edac; 02-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:56 PM

Okay, the carbon fiber wrap is on the hood. Luckily I got the 5x10 ft length ($30), which gives me enough for another try.

I got out the 150 grit, sanded the areas that needed it down to the metal and then just light sanded the rest. I was left with 150 grit scratches all over (pic). Bought a can of Rustoleum Sand and Fill Primer and used the whole can. The final look was a quite blotchy. (Also it was a little breezy and the overspray covered the front of the car, grrr). Wet sanded the primer using a board with 500 grit. That only took a few minutes and left the surface nice and smooth. Pulled out the wiper nozzles (broke one), put a block of wood under the hood to raise it up a little.

Laid the 4D Vinyl and cut it to fit with a couple inches hanging over, me and buddy peeled the backing off, sprayed water underneath and started squeegeing with a felt sided squeegee. The work want well till we got to the front where the hood curves. Too late we realized if one guy uses the heat gun while the other lifts, pulls and stretches over the edge, you can lay without a lot of bubbles and creases. Also too late we realized the heat gun can melt the vinyl, erasing the CF grain (see pic). Afterwards, we used the heat gun and squeegie all over to be sure all the glue took hold and all the hidden bubbles were pushed out.

Of course I wish it had gone better. But the experience was hopefully enough to do a perfect job next time.

Attached Thumbnails Ideas for my roof and hood?-blaz-hood1.jpg   Ideas for my roof and hood?-blaz-hood2.jpg  
Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 AM

If it was easy, every one would be doing it.
Now that the prep work is done, and the practice run is complete. I can't wait to see the pics when you finish it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideas for my roof and hood?