Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

int door panel removal tips?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default int door panel removal tips?

Hey All,

Have to remove the Driver's door interior panel, have a broken rear-view mirror to fix. Any tips and/or tricks to make this task simple and pain-free for a first-timer? This is on the '98 Blazer. My first quick glance at it did not reveal any visible fasteners or anything. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

There should be 3 screws. 2 are at an angle below the door pull and one is holding on the plate that covers the door handle. (At least on a 99 jimmy, should be about the same). Then they are held on by a bunch of plastic "christmas trees" that just pop off. They make special plastic pry bars but you don't really need em. Just take your time.
I assume you are talking about the side view? When you get the panel off, there will be 3 rubber plugs hiding the bolts for the mirror. Pull out the plugs and undue the bolts, careful with the last one or it will fall lol. If you have power mirrors, there's an electrical connection to undue as well. Easy job. Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

On my 99 blazer, I believe the only screw for the front doors is in the cover for the door the rest of the removal process is just the "christmas trees" (jacking cats term because I have no clue what they are called).

Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks to both of you, that info will be helpful. I know those press-in 'christmas tree' fasteners you speak of, good to know what I'm going to be dealing with. Yes, I did mean the side view mirror, not sure why I mis-typed that earler. Does not seem as if I should run into anything unexpected when I get a chance to tackle this project.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

Nope, definitely one of the easiest door panel removals I have ever done was on my blazer

Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Default done!

yes, that project is now on the "Done" list. It was as easy as described. Those 2 screws under the door pull handle were difficult to see, but easy enough to remove and replace. The mirror attachment was super-easy to get to as well.

Was replacing a partially broken off side mirror. Found both of the lower mounting studs to have broken free from the mirror, due to an impact the mirror suffered.

I believe that the one I scored from the salvage yard is an aftermarket piece, and not a GM part. The adjuster motor is LOUD. (Just like the one I installed on a different one of our cars, that I know was non-GM.) Disappointed in that a little bit, but the price was hard to argue with I guess.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Hey, another Minneapolis member. Glad you got the panel off. Its quite simple. harder to get it back on than it is getting it off.