Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Leaking windshield repair help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default Leaking windshield repair help

When I got the jimmy, there was rust around the windshield. I removed the old windshield trim, fixed the rust and put in the new rubber trim from rock auto. Sometimes the windshield will leak. Most of the time it wont. Heavy rain it wont leak.
If its a light steady rain over the course of multiple days.. it will.
We have been in a pattern the last week or so where we have been in the 40's and 50's with drizzle. Today it turned into a very light rain for most of the day and Chelsea came out after work to find a bit of water in the cup holder and the head liner right above the rear view mirror soaked.

Keep in mind, this is MN, so removing that rubber piece right now is not an option. I know of the flowable sealant they sell. I have used that and thought I had it fixed until now.
Any quick fix tips that I could use to stop it.
I was thinking of taking that windshield sealant, cleaning off around the whole rubber seal, putting a small bead and flattening it into place so water just goes up and over it.. what ya think?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:14 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

water leaks are a PIA
wind (driving down the road) can drive it to other places
depending on how level the vehicle is can change its route also
I assume you dont have a sun roof , some of the factory roofs have drain tubes that can plug up and cause leaks as well that will travel under the roof

Before using the flowable sealant make sure to clean the surface really well
I like using isopropyl alcohol from the drug store and its relatively cheap

any chance that rubber is in upside down
been a long time since I played with one but kind of remember some having drain slots at the bottom

no way I remember how a 93 windshield is mounted
It it mounted with urethane sealant and then trim or in a big rubber donut seal that locks in on itself

Last edited by rexazz2; 12-15-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Its mounted with urethane sealant and then this trim (the trim does not seal it at all)

And its not wind driven, its only when sitting. right dead center in the windshield.. real annoying.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking windshield repair help-cst9bm.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 04:07 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I dont think sealing the trim will fix it and in reality there is a potential to break the windshield if enough water gets trapped and freezes

the flowable sealant under the trim would be a better approach IMO

Old 12-17-2014, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah, I think you are right. Looks like I will just have to put a BUNCH of it in there until it squishes out all around truck side and window side.