Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Multi Color RGB LED Cluster Lighting Mod 2003 S10 Blazer LS 2Dr

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
Serif is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Multi Color RGB LED Cluster Lighting Mod 2003 S10 Blazer LS 2Dr

So one day I was looking to change over all interior lights over to LED, this included the cluster lights too, Simple enough for some people, but I could not decide which colour I wanted the cluster lights to be once finished. A month passed by with the LED conversion on hold until I finally decided I would want all of them...

I did this mod a while back on my Blazer's Cluster assembly. I neglected to take In-Progress photos or videos sadly. But the final product speaks for its self and the process (Albeit tedious) was fairly straight forward and simple.

I used an RGB LED strip kit with remote control from OLS.
After seperating the housing and getting into the light box area, I lined and snaked the LED strip around the major lighting areas (gauges and side meters) hot snotting it in place. Once set, I dremeled out a small hole and lead for the Wiring to enter through the side of the housing, being sure to tie a knot on the interior to allow slack inside the cluster (You don't want to take it all back apart if it becomes disconnected internally. I wired the controller box into the Dash Fuse panel off of the 'Clstr Illum' fuse (I used an add-a-circuit)Having it connected on this circuit allows the dimmer wheel to modulate the power to the unit too.(Doesn't do it smoothly, the controller was never meant to be on a dimmer)

I Made sure that the IR sensor was slightly out on top of the cluster glass, I put the dash back together.

It was pretty simple in that aspect, the hard part was that you need to take the face skin off of the cluster face carefully and without damage. This was done slowly and tediously with a heat gun and a blunt but thin butter knife. Once you have this face off, you will notice the entire back of this material is painted white. You need to scratch off the white paint for every symbol, letter, number, and line that you want actually lit up. If you do not, the LED at full brightness is barely powerful enough to get through and still be bright on the operator's side. This is because we are not using the clear plastic light guide to spread the light like the original setup for incandescent.

If there is enough demand for a more in depth how-to of this modification send me a PM or comment and I will see about doing a tear down and rebuild of the cluster to make a step by step how to.

At the end of the day, this is a fun and useful mod that you can be proud of. My friends all absolutely love the cluster and all encourage me to go through and put RGB LED lighting in EVERY interior lighting fixture. For now I will just stick with tactical red lighting.

Last edited by Serif; 04-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.